Author Topic: osage red streak  (Read 3192 times)

Offline Carson (CMB)

Re: osage red streak
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 01:34:07 am »
Thanks again for the reassurance everybody.  I worked the stave down a bit today and the red streaks sure are pretty.  Now I just need to straighten this stave. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 07:48:59 am »
I like them,never had a problem that I know of because of them, most I have seen have it. Something in the soil I would guess.I doubt Dean's buddy missed weight because of red streaks.  ;) :)   
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline jimmy

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2012, 11:26:00 am »
the first osage I ever cut was small diameter trees. It was dark reddish orange all the way through the heart wood, right when cut.  That stuff was like spring steel that had been tempered.  You can thump it with your finger and hear the tensil strength, almost like a ring.  Very dense, heavy and powerful.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2012, 12:41:00 pm »
It would be interesting to see some specific gravity numbers for osage that compare the two color extremes - yellow and all red.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso