Author Topic: Losing weight  (Read 1569 times)

Offline wolleybugger

Losing weight
« on: June 06, 2012, 06:00:26 pm »
I got a couple of Osage self bows, one I made and one that my son made, and both are a little too heavy for me now. I'm going to try to drop some of the poundage. My question is do I tiller them just like building a new bow?? Any tips or anything I should be carefull with??

Offline Stingray45

Re: Losing weight
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 06:02:45 pm »
Depending on how much weight you want to take off I would go nice and slow. If you have the draw length you want I would slowly take the weight off and keep checking the tiller to make sure it stays in check. Have you shot the bow in? Usually the weight will drop some once you shoot it in. Typically if I had a bow at the point that you have that one I would just go with sandpaper and take the weight off slowly.

~Barry
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline wolleybugger

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 06:10:02 pm »
I would like to get a little more draw length but other than the poundage both bows are good to go. If I wanted to take off ten pounds of pull off would you still use sand paper or go with a scraper. Both bows are pulling heavy, probally close to 60 pounds or more. Would like to get them down to around 50 pounds.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 06:11:32 pm »
I suggest a sanding block with 50 grit. Full strokes from fades to 8" short of the tips. Your tiller shouldnt change enough matter if you count strokes evenly on both limbs.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 06:12:04 pm »
The diff between a 60# bow and 50# in minute at best.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline wolleybugger

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 08:33:19 pm »
Thanks Pearl, only took a little sanding and the weight sure came down fast. Am going to shot it for awhile and see if I want to take more off. It was like getting to know a old friend again, she shot like a dream.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 10:28:41 pm »
You can un-pike the bow, too.  Just add a few extra inches of length to each limb.  With the limbs being longer, the leverage is more in your favor and will lower the weight. 

Now, when you figure out how to add that wood back onto the bow, please post your process in the "How To" section because I am famous for taking off too much.    >:D

ok, for the serious answer:  Yes, it's just like when you tillered the bow initially.  But because you are so close to your final weight, go slow.  Make light scrapes and take an equal numbers of scrapes off each limb.  Be sure to restring every time after taking your scrapes and "excercise" the bow limbs.  This will allow you to keep an eye on the tiller AND re-train the bow. 

Good luck with the project.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

mikekeswick

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 04:16:53 am »
Seeing as you want a little moree draw-length then follow the advice already given if you JUST wanted to lose some weight without increasing the draw length then you should only reduce the bows width to keep the efficency the same.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 08:39:38 am »
I done 2 in the last couple of weeks for some friends,they wanted a little less weight and a couple more inches of draw. I do it just like I tillered them the first time,check the tiller and if it is good just take even off each limb and move on out to the longer draw as you take the weight off. usually pretty quick and easy. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good