Author Topic: Lotta work for a little wood  (Read 6972 times)

Offline Judo Point

Re: Lotta work for a little wood
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2012, 09:42:30 am »
Can't wait to see your vision with the hhb! So hurry up get to work! Lol

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2012, 10:45:08 am »
Nice work. Hearing your story makes me want to take a nap. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2012, 11:47:40 am »
  Your right those HICKORY is exture heavy. I love collecting my own wood and have did it since day one. I'm always looking for that special stave. And have many many trees tagged with ribben. Collecting for own wood gives your bow a little exture meaning.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2012, 01:26:16 pm »
Nice haul!  Your adventure in wood gathering is the sort of thing I need to shed the pounds. my body hurts thinking about it.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2012, 08:15:40 pm »
The two HHB saplings that I mentioned earlier exited me?...............well lets say it was for good reason. I ran one through my band saw right down the center and gave Blackhawk half to see what he conjurs up.  I finished tillering and shooting my half in tonite, five weeks cut. Wonder what hawkey boy is up to???? HHHHMMMMM????
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2012, 09:11:59 pm »
Hawkey boy has retired from bowmaking...........for this eve that is  ;D

Mines ready for tip overlays and ready to be braced

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2012, 09:19:09 pm »
Nice logs, PD. Cutting and splitting (and carrying) your own bow wood makes any bows really special. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2012, 09:38:50 pm »
How di dyou get such a clean peel?

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2012, 10:11:45 pm »
When you peel right after you cut it comes off like there's nuthin there, just make sure you don't slide any pieces under your fingernails(ouch!!)
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2012, 10:48:48 pm »
I carry an old broken off hatchet head in my shirt pocket. I use it to get the bark and cambium started, and then just peel away. It only works when the sap is up. You can shed 5-10#'s of weight from a 50-150# log your hefting out. And its a nice way to take a breather between carry outs. I pop a squat and peel my next load.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2012, 07:53:49 am »
Nice haul,I once done a HHB in 4 weeks from standing  tree to bow and it worked just fine. Just kept it sealed when ever I wasn't working on it. Can't wait to see your results. :) :) Always cut and haul my own wood and it does make it special.
Can't remember ever toting any that far,makes me tired to think about that.  :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Judo Point

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2012, 09:09:33 am »
Four and five weeks from standing tree to bow??? Am I waiting longer than I need to or are you guys speeding up the drying process somehow? Also hurry up and post some pics pearlie! I love ironwood bows!

blackhawk

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2012, 09:28:43 am »
Four and five weeks from standing tree to bow??? ........................ are you guys speeding up the drying process somehow?

Absolutely .....whenever i cut a whitewood i like to reduce one or two staves down to bow dimension(bending a few inches floor tillered) to quick dry them....with osage n yew i like to let em sit n season out proper......my quickest from standing tree to bow was 36 days....i reduced it,sealed ends n back,and set it in a heater duct  ;)   

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2012, 09:31:55 am »
I just worked mine to bow dementions the first day or so and sealed,then every couple of day worked it more ,sealed and put in hot box after the first week or so, kept that up till I was finished,didn't mean to hijack the thread.Sorry. :) It will dry quick that way,but must keep sealed or it will check.Some trouble but if you are in a hurry it will work. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Judo Point

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2012, 10:02:23 am »
Cool thanks guys your both using some form of hotbox then I guess I'll have to make me one I hate waiting. Thanks again.