Author Topic: Brand new.....could use some ideas  (Read 4437 times)

Offline chertle

Re: Brand new.....could use some ideas (pictures added)
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 10:08:05 am »
  Here are some "points"(I use that word loosely) that I have tried for the first time.  They are in order from left to right.  As you can see with my mushroom at number three....third time is not always a charm!!! ;D  I am excited with my blue point, I think it shows that you guys are teaching me some things.  Thanks for your help!!!
Leslie
Indiana

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Brand new.....could use some ideas
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2012, 10:09:38 am »
Amen to that! Post away on the pictures. We can try to explain on here but the best thing you can do is get with some other knappers. Can't beat hands on experience! Will shoot your learning curve lightyears ahead and that's a very long way :D. And yep, i do believe that any shape or design you can concievably build, you will find it in the Overstreet book..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline chertle

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2012, 10:14:11 am »
Here is the blue point by itself.  Would love some constructive criticism!!  This is just a bottle bottom of the new platinum bottles!!  Let me know where I should go from here please!!  Thanks a lot for looking!!!
Leslie
Indiana

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2012, 10:24:15 am »
That's what i'm talking about! Exactly where i started years ago. Run with that for awhile, just shaping glass and rocks you will learn a ton. Watch some youtubes, buy a book maybe, go to a knap-in. Over time you'll learn more about  ridges, platforms, angles, etc and will start running those flakes longer. Happy knappin.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline bubby

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2012, 02:16:04 pm »
i like that blue point, believe me my first wern't that good, gonna have to get me some of those platnum bottles, emptying them is half the fun of knapping glass, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline TRACY

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2012, 07:30:30 pm »
Wow, looking really good for just starting out! Really impressed with the blue glass point. The mushroom point looks like a San Pedro in the over street. Nice notching too!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2012, 07:35:38 pm »
I like the blue one. You done good! As soon as the bleeding stops, pick up another piece. :laugh:
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.