Author Topic: Noob's Very First Bow (Red Oak Board Bow)  (Read 33162 times)

Offline k-hat

Re: Noob's Very First Bow (Red Oak Board Bow)
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2012, 07:19:58 pm »
oh yeah, and as far as shooting for tiller you can fake it kinda.  Just cut a self nock into a dowel, sharpen the end and let loose!!  You're not going for flight yet so much as teaching the wood to accept the changes you've made by scraping. 

Offline Rich H.

« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2012, 11:39:15 am »
Made some cheap cheater-dowel-duct-tape-fletched-garage-arrows last night.  Took her out back this morning and let a few fly (shot at 24" only, about 10 times.)  Having never shot off hand before and having very little to reference I can't comment on speed or accuracy.  It did send some arrows across the yard though! ;D

Didn't have an assistant to snap any draw pics and don't want to let it sit drawn to 24" in the tiller stand while I fiddle with the camera, so I'll post some draw pics when I get my wife to help.  Here's one at 6" brace.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
-Albert Einstein

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2012, 06:29:49 pm »
That's looking really good now :) You're making great progress!
Did you round all the corners? The limbs look fairly square in that last pic...round all corners to about the size of a pea. Sharp corners are a place for splinters to lift.
It's also time to reduce those overly massive tipoverlays. It's just fine for tillering, but they greatly influence shooting characteristics of a bow. You'll notice the bow shoots better once those tips have been reduced. Narrow the tips down to 7/16" wide and 9/16" deep. Then, reduce the overlay so it's nice and fluent. Look at some pics of finished bows for a reference.
As far as tiler goes, the left limb in that last pic looks slightly stiffer than the right limb. Hard to see though...a pic at partial draw (maybe 20" in the tiller tree/stick) would be useful in judging tiller.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Rich H.

« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2012, 01:51:05 am »
Thanks for the advice DarkSoul.  I was at the in-laws for mother's day so no work on the bow over the weekend.  I had time to shoot the bow about 50-60 times this afternoon.  I made and taped on a temporary arrow shelf and found that I was able shoot much better.  Did have some arrow's porpoising (but I realize that is something that I can fix with final tuning and proper nock alignment on the string.)  Back to tillering, tip overlay work, and rounding those edges a bit more tomorrow.

One thing of note: when I restrung the bow after letting it rest all weekend I noticed it made a weird noise I had never heard before.  I was very gentle restringing it (I exercised it in the stringer about 30 before bringing it to full brace.)   I noticed it made a sort of ticking noise in the handle/riser area.  It wasn't a cracking sound more of a creaky/ticking noise.  As best I can figure it was the bow trying to bend a little bit in the handle area and the riser/glue trying to fight it.  It did not make the noise again while I shot it or when I unstrung it.  Any thoughts?
-Albert Einstein

Offline k-hat

« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2012, 08:50:08 am »
It could have been the string rubbing the nocks, or the string stretching, but it could have been a splinter or the handle separating as you mentioned.  It looks like your fade thickness increases before your glue line on the riser (as it should), is that the case?  If your handle area is done correctly then i wouldn't think the handle is separating, but it's possible.

CLOSELY inspect the bow all over for any splinters beginning to lift or cracks, check the glue line on the riser.  If it really was a "tick" sound, that usually indicates a wood separation somewhere.  Restring the bow and check all over again for the slightest separation, which may simply look like a line in the grain/growth ring.  Hold the bow in front of you sideways and with the back facing you and pull a little on the string and inspect again as the bow flexes, especially the fade area.

The only time i've had the tick, i eventually found splinters lifting, sorry to say, but one can hope!

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2012, 09:40:37 am »
That is looking good,you have came along way.Like k-hat said look it over good,if it is bending in the handle at all the handle will probably pop off.Hope not but better than a splinter. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2012, 10:09:14 am »
Suspense is killing me...  what happened?  I hope it was just the handle trying to pop off.  If that happens don't fret.  You can glue on pieces of tool leather with super glue and build up a good handle.  I like for a bow to bend slightly in the handle - I just like the feel of it when I am shooting.  The built up leather handles don't mind a little flex.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Rich H.

« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2012, 09:12:58 pm »
Sorry for the suspense... I looked it over... and over.. and over..I put it to brace and looked some more... I pulled it to to several different draws and looked at it from many different angles... I couldn't see anything that looked like a crack or splinter lifting.  No clue what made the sound.

Anyways I continued tillering slowly to my final draw length.  Around 26 or 27 inches I had to fight off a hinge in each limb.  I finally got it tillered to 28 inches at the correct weight.  I then gave it quick sanding (100 grit).  I measured and the right limb is slightly stiffer than the other (about 3/8" less tip deflection.)

I still need to cut down the tip overlays (but I'm waiting for my new bow stringer and goodies to arrive from 3RA). 

As of now it is 70" ntn and pulls 49ish # @ 28".  It took on just shy of 2" of set.  I will probably shoot it a while (at least 100-200 shots) and then contour the handle, sand it, add the final arrow shelf/rest, and put on the finish.

Thanks for all the help to date and please keep the comments, advice, and  help coming.
-Albert Einstein

Offline Kullas

« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2012, 01:43:04 am »
I just finished my first bow its a red oak and was shooting for 45lbs and i hit around 40 i wish i would have shot for 50  to 55do  :)

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2012, 10:10:54 pm »
 :)  Heck yeah!  Looks great.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Rich H.

« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2012, 09:29:50 pm »
Well, I've shot in the bow now and decided to finish it.  Here's the final product.  Came in at about 47# @ 28 in.  72" ttt.  Sorry no full draw pics at the moment.

-Albert Einstein

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2012, 10:41:15 pm »
Nice finish. How do you like it?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline johnston

« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2012, 10:54:11 pm »
Really cool feeling ain't it? Started the next one yet?

Lane

Offline Rich H.

« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2012, 01:03:11 am »
Pearl, Thanks.  Decided on just a "natural" oil based finish with a polycrilic clear coat.  It's awesome to be able to shoot something you made with your own hands.  I'm definitely hooked.  I have 3 more bows in the planning stages from the same board that this one was cut (one of which will hopefully be an identical twin to this one.)
-Albert Einstein

Offline danny f

« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2012, 05:54:02 am »
great job i hope my first bow turns out that nice. :)