Author Topic: Point of The Month - Sticky  (Read 635240 times)

Offline Ghost Knapper

Re: Point of The Month - Sticky
« Reply #1050 on: March 10, 2015, 11:20:08 pm »
If only one would work, but apparently sometimes you need two. I have even saw two with one strike, one from the base and the other from the tip. :)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #1051 on: March 11, 2015, 08:13:45 pm »
Clovis points with multiple flutes are not only acceptable, they match the real things.

---http://lithiccastinglab.com/gallery-pages/clovispoints6easternpage1.htm
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #1052 on: March 11, 2015, 10:15:11 pm »
jackcrafty, Thanks for the post. I have not seen the doubles before and I always thought the flutes went at least half way the length. Wrong on two counts. That's why I enjoy this forum so much. Great people with lots of knowledge.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #1053 on: March 11, 2015, 11:01:20 pm »
Yeah, the modern Clovis has not helped the situation.  The real things are often surprisingly "crude" by comparison.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 11:05:38 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Ghost Knapper

« Reply #1054 on: March 11, 2015, 11:49:14 pm »
Thanks jackcrafty for those two posts. While I appreciate modern fluted points that are "stylized" I much prefer the real thing or more authentically made modern pieces. I was hoping to be able to be able to remove one flake from each face but I should of realized while reducing it that this particular rock wasn't going to allow for that, just didn't seem to want to play nice. I would be tickled to find in a field the one I made so it cant be that bad. :)

Lets see some more points of the month for this month! The weather is finally nice. :)

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #1055 on: March 16, 2015, 12:32:31 pm »
I finally got one today ;D First side had a pretty shallow weak flute, set things up on second side an just missed going off the end :o Shaped her up a little and here she is. Not my best but I am happy just not very consistent yet. Hope ya like it and let's see some more. Bob

Offline Ghost Knapper

« Reply #1056 on: March 16, 2015, 05:30:15 pm »
Good job Bob!

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #1057 on: March 16, 2015, 08:18:15 pm »
Yes Sir, that's a keeper....nice work Bob

Offline bowmo

« Reply #1058 on: March 17, 2015, 12:12:17 pm »
Well, the weather in Northern Illinois if finally getting nice again, so time to kick off the cobwebs. Wasn't brave enough to mess with any nice pieces of stone, so I clobbered out these from some cruddy little blocky chunks. Nothing nice like the killer ones you guys have been posting but I'll try a few bigger ones when the groove come back.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #1059 on: March 17, 2015, 09:34:13 pm »
Some nice flutes for ridding the cobwebs...nice mix of rock there also.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #1060 on: March 22, 2015, 08:00:15 pm »
Tried a few more today, Managed to get one for three :( The survior is pretty thick and flutes are kinda shallow, both went about 1/2 way. The dark georgetown one had a really wide flute but could not hold togeather the other one suvived the first flute almost to tip and broke on the second side. I had a small stack on this one and thought the flute would take it off, wrong went right around it. Probably can't see that in the pics. Anyways got one , Thanks for lookin and let's see yours. Bob
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 09:03:58 am by Outbackbob48 »

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #1061 on: March 23, 2015, 10:02:20 am »
Hell sounds like a typical day for me Bob. Lol. Too bad they break sometimes or the majority of the time, whichever the case. I'm home and have got the bug, hmmmm.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Patches

« Reply #1062 on: March 23, 2015, 02:09:21 pm »
Here is my Clovis point. First one I successfully finished.  I have broken several.  I put the flute in the first side, and did not have any problems.  I tried the second flute , and it did not go anywhere.  After the third attempt, I got it to go, but not very far.  In preparing for that flute, I ended up taking quite a bit off the back of the point, and now the first flute looks a lot shorter.  Oh well...got one finished, so I am happy.  Its the first time I tried putting the flutes on a point, and I was shaking!  Pretty nervous...

I enjoy the point of the months.  this is only the second month I have tried but it gets me to try new points that I have not made before and really helps with my learning to knap.  Looking forward to what next month brings!

Neal   
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #1063 on: March 23, 2015, 08:15:22 pm »
Bob and Patches, those points look good. Breaking Clovis seems to be a trend. Glad you guys have been posting, I have been down with the flu for over a week. Has not been fun, but liked getting on here to see what you guys have been doing...Thanks

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #1064 on: March 23, 2015, 09:01:49 pm »
Bob:  Seems you just keep getting better and better   :)  I have a collection of fluted points made by my old friend J. B. Sollberger.  I can send a picture of them via email but not on the PA site.  Pictures just don't send well with my smoke signal mentality!  Joe 
Get Close---Shoot Straight