Author Topic: Osage haul  (Read 3346 times)

Offline Mesquite

Re: Osage haul
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2012, 01:03:45 pm »
That should keep you busy for a week or two  >:D Is that a homelite chainsaw, I had an older one about 5 years ago that I got in the back of a blazer I bought for $50.

Wonder if that wood grows anywhere by me, I'd love to find some.  ???

You don't know if osage grow round you? I believe from ohio, kentucky, to Oklahoma, to texas, and I believe even in remote places in california it grows. Where do you live?

Southern NM, I looked on the USDA plant site and it shows it just 2 counties to the west.  ;)

Offline Postman

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2012, 01:51:21 pm »
Wow - you could chase those rings with a chainsaw!
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2012, 03:37:18 pm »
Ooooooh boy! I cannot wait for global warming to allow that stuff to grow up here in Canada!
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline dmikeyj

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2012, 03:56:59 pm »
Ooooooh boy! I cannot wait for global warming to allow that stuff to grow up here in Canada!

That's about the funniest thing I've seen all day.   ;D

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2012, 09:13:43 pm »
Mesquite,     Yes that is a holmelite, its actualy my fathers. He bought it used over thirty years ago. Not asingle piece of plastic on it anywhere. Easiest starting saw ive ever used.

Gun Doc,      I had a great time shooting with you at the classic, hope we can do it again someday.
Steve Bennett

Offline Mesquite

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2012, 10:47:22 pm »
you can use some osage sawdust to extract some dye. Could dye some leather or a quiver maybe. I love working with natural dyes. :)

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2012, 10:57:21 am »
I guess I am one of the old guys on most sites, made a lot of bows, looked at pictures of thousands more on various sites but nothing gets me really pumped up like a picture of some mighty fine osage in log, split or stave form.

To me the stuff is like a diamond in the rough, I can't help dreaming about what it might look like once all the "facets" have been cut and the finish polish has been added.

There has to be something in osage dust that transforms one's brain. My brain's dopamine receptors go into overdrive just looking at the stuff, just like the high I used to get when I was a runner years ago.

Here is a junkie that just got got a fix, you can tell by his spaced out expression.