Author Topic: quartz  (Read 1442 times)

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
quartz
« on: May 13, 2012, 12:13:59 pm »
did a workshop yesterday where i demonstrated knapping and archery. a guy wanted to film me for educational purposes and asked if i could work quartz. found a semi decent piece and knocked this point out. he told me he would let me know when he posted the vid on youtube . i didnt have my wood billets with me so i used a soft hammerstone and tine to make this one. couldnt get a decent pic of the side profile , i think i show it in the vid, fairly thin for quartz. maybe 3/16th". kept wating to snap it with every flake i removed.

"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Tower

Re: quartz
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 01:29:56 pm »
That looks tough.  Like the milk white quartz.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 01:44:46 pm »
Nice job,I pick up quart when I visit my daughter in Vermont.I haven't hit any yet but that point might just push me in that direction.
Roger
Venice Florida

Offline Josh B

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 01:54:52 pm »
Sweet!   Josh

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 09:53:59 am »
That point looks awesome Jaime.  I can never get very far with quartz.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 10:02:37 am »
Man, that snowy white quartz makes your hand look dirty or something :laugh:. Good on working that stuff! I picked up a bunch in SC, worked a peice and left it all laying right there..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Ncsnipe

If you can knapp that stuff, then you can knapp about anything!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 06:55:16 pm »
Really nice job. Seems like that's mostly what the natives around here used. I guess that's why when you find a rhyolite point here it's usually a nicely made piece.