Here's an update. Both blades have gone through the heat treating process, although I've got to draw the tangs back just a touch. I've rough ground the larger of the two and am ready to begin sanding. The bigger blade has some weird lighting streaks and fuzzies on it making it look like there are nicks and cracks. Just ignore 'em!
I take the drawings I made, make a copy, and cut out the parts to use as templates. Using double sided tape, I stick one template to the blade to get the exact placement for the pivot hole. I stick the other template to the handle material to make cutting it to shape easy and to identify exactly where the pivot hole should be drilled. Ignore the silly "use 1/16" pin" note. That's wrong, but I forgot to erase it. The smaller knife will use a 3/32" pivot pin.
Here's the parts laid out with temporary pins. The scales are bookmatched, stabilized, and dyed figured maple.
And a very rough dry assembling to see how things are coming along.