Author Topic: the problem with stone tips and practice shooting.  (Read 3812 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

the problem with stone tips and practice shooting.
« on: June 06, 2012, 01:25:46 pm »
Some of you may remember my pebble tipped bunny blunts.  Well with a 50lb bow I actualy sent one through my target (box) and into the root line.  Can't find fletching, and of course a metal detector wont work either.  Perhaps I'll pick up a few Judo points.  Or break down and make another arrow.  I busted one when one pebbel tipped arrow hit the other borad side.  So now I'm down to like 3 arrows of all different spine weights.   :-\  I gotta sit down and make me some arrows.

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
Re: the problem with stone tips and practice shooting.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 10:09:38 pm »
One of the best parts of being able to make arrows is having a way to get more when you run low...
That pebble tip sounds cool. Can u post a pic/link?
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline Scowler

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 09:12:06 am »
Yea, I remember your pebble tipped arrow.  Pretty cool.  Too bad about loosing it, but you're eventualy bound to loose arrows if you shoot enough.  Lost one the other day myself.  At least you can make more (like Youngboyer 2 said).  I make my own as well so I make sure that I have alot on hand so loosing one or two from time to time is no big deal.  In fact, I was planning on making a few blunts in the near future and your post reminded me to try your pebble blunt idea.   

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 08:15:59 pm »
Just realized I didn't loose that one.  I lost the duplex point so all I nees is a metal detector.

I broke that one when the shaft got hit broad side down range by another pebble point.

young Bowyer:

I have posted video of me using them.  They hit targets with an aweful slam.

MtDent

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 11:36:31 pm »
Very nifty idea with those pebbles. Ill have to make one or two if I actually can learn to make arrows.. :P

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 12:07:35 pm »
They hit hard.  >:D

MtDent

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 02:42:22 pm »
Good for gettin' them squirrels off my bird feeder ;)

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 11:09:07 am »
No matter how many arrows I make when ever you lose one it's always the same let down. I thats a good while to make really good arrows. I very seldom lose a arrow unlest it's lost in a buck or I miss a buck. I only shoot  judios stumping there hard to lose. But I lost LOTS AND LOTS of broad headed arrows and groundhogs. I use to hunt them religiously for years throught the summer between fly fishing trips.
 I'm sure your pebble tips would do fine on rabbits and squirrels.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 11:53:11 pm »
I'm sorry to be so BLUNT, but I shoot homade blunts and arrows and I break em all the time.  Cause I like to shoot.  :o ;)  It's cheaper to make yor own, but more heart felt loosing them, that's loosing them in the field, not off the string.  You either understand or not, keep shooting and making your own tackle, it's way more rewarding and finacialy less expensinve.  Donn't be so hard on yourself, "life is fritted away by detail." HDT

keep makin, keep shootin, deal w/ your losses.  :( dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 09:32:14 pm »
Good for gettin' them squirrels off my bird feeder ;)

good for knocking the crap out of your bird feeder if you miss!

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 09:37:14 am »
  BOWTARIST  Your not shooting dog wood. I shot 1000's no 10,000's of times with dog wood arrows. Thats includeing stump shoots the way I do most of my practiceing. And can only remember a few ever breaking and it's uselly taper fural for the judio.
  A sesoned what here in  called ALTERNET I think it's gray I'm not really sure. But it's SUPER HARD, GROWS FAIRLY STRAIGHT A FINISHED ARROW STAYS STRIGHT ,HEAVY BUT NOT TO HEAVY LIKE HICKORY AND SOME OTHERS.
  As far as i'm concered it's the # 1 shoot arrow wood. Also most unbreakable shot out of a bow.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 11:40:21 pm »
  BOWTARIST  Your not shooting dog wood. I shot 1000's no 10,000's of times with dog wood arrows. Thats includeing stump shoots the way I do most of my practiceing. And can only remember a few ever breaking and it's uselly taper fural for the judio.
  A sesoned what here in  called ALTERNET I think it's gray I'm not really sure. But it's SUPER HARD, GROWS FAIRLY STRAIGHT A FINISHED ARROW STAYS STRIGHT ,HEAVY BUT NOT TO HEAVY LIKE HICKORY AND SOME OTHERS.
  As far as i'm concered it's the # 1 shoot arrow wood. Also most unbreakable shot out of a bow.

your right crooket, I haven't been shooting red osier dog wood, I've got about 20 cut and dried and ready to start work on, once done I'll get back @ you.  I feel like rose is pretty tough too, kinda light, but resiliant. dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 04:17:13 pm »
 RED OSIER'S TUFF and grows alittle straighter but still not a tuff and hard as alternet dog wood(gray). But it makes really good arrows.