Author Topic: Terminal or what????  (Read 1933 times)

Offline DRon knife

Terminal or what????
« on: May 21, 2012, 02:14:37 pm »
Hi Guy's,I have a serious dilemma here,the pics are of some Hophornbeam that I just cut,they all seem to have worm damage. The two logs that I cut are from different wood lots seperated by about ten miles. I have cut other hhb trees from different areas and they all seem to have this problem. My question is,is this common among hhb,are they usable or firewood? Thanks for any input.  Ron 

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Terminal or what????
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 02:56:12 pm »
I'd guess that if its only in the sapwood and you can cut down beyond it you'll be fine, but you gotta cut it out.
No experience, just my guess.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 03:01:07 pm »
Thats indicative to HHB,and your wood is fine as is.....im not sure exactly what bug tracks made those,but it should be ok

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 04:06:31 pm »
Ash trees often have the same tracks. Not a problem.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DRon knife

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 09:48:12 pm »
Very good to know guy's thanks!!!!  These are the best tree's I've seen and really strait.

Offline okie64

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 12:21:50 am »
Ive built bows from ash that had a few trails like that on the back of the bow. They made it fine. Ive cut lots of pecan with trails like that in it, I always thought they were ant trails.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 12:24:01 am »
I found a few of those on the awesome HHB staves that I got from Blackhawk at the Classic.  They kind of looked like veins on the wood.  I scraped down into one and didn't see any damage in the wood.  They were not bug tunnels, just a discolored streak.  It should be fine.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Judo Point

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 05:55:54 am »
I'm glad you posted that cause I was curious as well I've run into some of that with my hhb but not quite as bad as that one and I've been trying to somewhat avoid those areas but there are some in the bow I finished and its held up great and I've got it bending hard.

Offline DRon knife

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 12:16:03 am »
WHEW!!!  I have been just disgusted with my luck and wood lately,maybe things are turning around finally!