Author Topic: Rawhide adding weight?  (Read 6097 times)

Offline Will Carothers

Rawhide adding weight?
« on: May 24, 2012, 05:51:41 pm »
Does rawhide add to the draw weight on a bow, i was tillering my first osage, and it acme out too light, i thought about piking it, but with never using osage before, i wasn't sure of my ability, it still can dry some, but i dont think that will affect it that much, i also want to keep it @64" because i like a longer bow

Offline Ifrit617

Re: Rawhide adding weight?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 05:57:47 pm »
No... Just durability...

Jon

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 06:01:46 pm »
From what I understand, rawhide is for creating a durable uniform back to the bow.

If you want to add weight with a backing you should probably go with sinew.

But I'm still pretty new, so you should wait until one of the more experienced guys posts to act.

-Billy
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 06:08:26 pm »
  Adding reflex to the bow will add draw weight and performance.

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 06:23:53 pm »
I use rawhide all the time. It doesn't add weight, but sure brings peace of mind about a questionable back!   
                                                                                                                                                     Dale
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Offline macbow

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 07:02:52 pm »
If you don't want to pike it then the best choices would be flipping the tips and reflexing, if you haven't already done these.
Ron
Ron Mackenberg   Warsaw, MO.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 12:32:43 am »
Did you give the bow plenty of time to dry after adding the rawhide? If you used TB glue or hide glue you added moisture from the glue to a dry stave. It can take up to a week for all that moisture to leave the wood again.   It happened to me a few years ago. I built a 55# osage bow and added a rawhide backing. A few days later I strung it up and even though the rawhide felt dry the bow was very sluggish and now pulled 45#.  >:(  I was so mad I set it aside and forgot it for about a month. Next time I strung it she was back up to weight.  ;)
  If you live in a dry climate a few days should do it. If you live in a humid climate give it a week.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Will Carothers

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 01:30:49 am »
i havent backed it yet i'm just looking at the different options, i may just go with sinew.

mikekeswick

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 04:24:07 am »
If you sinew it then it will benefit from being shortened. So shorten it, recurve the tips and then give it a mild heat treating - just enough to plasticise the wood and reflex it as much as you dare. Allow to cool then get on with the sinewing. If you don't reflex it then sinew may add draw weight but it will also add a fair amount of physical weight to the limbs and likely make it slower.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 12:10:25 pm »
Bamboo glued up in reflex will give you all the weight ,plus some!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Will Carothers

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 04:18:04 pm »
I would love to bamboo back it, but i font think its really possible with this stave

here is the top limb

I also have it sitting in the window sill do it can darken up a little faster (the pic is deceiving, but it is still bright yellow)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 04:23:26 pm »
Steam the center 14" and set the handle back a few inches.  Let it sit for two weeks. Being your first I dont suggest adding sinew, rawhide or recurves to that. Im guessing you paid big money for it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Will Carothers

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 04:27:27 pm »
Thanks ,it is my first osage, but i have been building bows for 3+ years, i like the set back idea, ive built it in with lots of hickory backed bows, and i like the feel. and surprisingly the stave was only ~$25-30, plus shipping, so it was a pretty good deal for a stave that started at 76 inches long

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 04:29:34 pm »
 Thats a bargain for that stave. Get more if you can.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2012, 06:09:41 am »
That os an awsome stave ...i paid 5 times the amount for one simlar...pearls had a good idea i would do that than toast the belly, i hope you plan on putting skins on it if so i would silk back under the snake for insurance...cant wait to see her done!!!
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...