Author Topic: Trophy's.  (Read 5518 times)

Offline vinemaplebows

Re: Trophy's.
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2012, 01:46:37 pm »
I have mounts, and for blacktails they are darn nice bucks, with a bow it made it that more of a challenge. I simply explain to non-hunters that to spend $500-600 on a head mount is to honor my quarry. I know when I go to a sportsmens show I could give a damn who shot it.....or even if it was poached....it to me is about the animal. So, even if I am the one that put a buck on the wall it only shows I had some luck, and hard work that day....the real honor goes to mother nature, and what she can produce....I am quite thankfull for that, and that is why I honor this fine animal.

Brian
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2012, 06:35:41 pm »
While I never mount heads, I don't get all fired up about what other folks do.  I've kept teeth of a big hog I shot.

Its too bad when folks don't respect the animals they hunt.  But I don't equate mounting a head with dis-respect.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline DGF

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2012, 07:39:11 am »
I have  a couple shoulder mounts that have meaning to me. The first is a whitetail that was my first buck kill. The other is a Javelina because I thought it would make a cool looking mount and a memory of my uncle, cousion and I hunting. My other bucks get sawed off and put on plaques as reminders of the hunt. I keep one turkey fan on my wall along with the beards and spurs of others with the same plaque. The more work that was involved the more the racks mean to me. This will be my first year attempting a primitive deer kill- and doe or buck I'm likely to get it mounted as a memory of my first primitive kill. Trophys aren't just measured in inches to me, and my trophys I'll display proudly.

Growing up I remember having an interest in hunting and visiting a neighbors house. In his basement were 6-8 deer heads. I asked about them and every one had a story that went with it. Only a couple of them were his, the others belonged to his father and you could tell they had special meaning to him. I hope someday once I have kids some of my mounts will hold some meaning or memory of me to them as well. 
Wyoming, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2012, 01:48:11 pm »
I have never mounted a "trophy" but do save the horns or make a European skull mount. The cost of getting a mount is way over my head(or pocket book) so I don't even consider it. I have no problem with others mounting their trophies and enjoy the stories that go with them.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC