Author Topic: Epic Fail!!  (Read 3830 times)

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: Epic Fail!!
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 02:59:18 pm »
I think you're doing great.  keep @ it and don't beat your self up w/ failed attempts.  flintwalker told me @ the classic not to worry so much about making a point, but practice on driving flakes across the center line on any pc. scrap looking rock in the pit.  helps a lot w/ my nerves when I don't mind if I break it or not.  again, you're doing great! dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline chertle

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 05:54:33 pm »
Bevan.........ask and ye shall receive.......remember there are warnings attached to these pics!!!! :-*
Leslie
Indiana

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2012, 03:51:05 pm »
I think you did pretty darn good with what you had. I bet you learned from it. I would be sure to save it.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2012, 04:25:50 pm »
You're doing fine Leslie.  Blades are much harder than points.  I just posted a broken one so you wouldn't feel bad.  It was going to be a butter knife.  That's OK, as long as it's sharp.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2012, 05:13:07 pm »
Sorry, but that is not an Epic Fail.  It's not even close.  It's just a flake you knocked out that didn't come off quite like you planned, probably due to hitting at not quite the right angle of your swing.  That is firmly in the learning experiance catogory.

An Epic Fail when flintknapping is working on something like an 18 inch dance sword and then dropping it on your abrading stone and breaking it into three pieces.  I've never done that, it was only like 14 inches. ::)

Offline chertle

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2012, 07:36:32 pm »
An Epic Fail when flintknapping is working on something like an 18 inch dance sword and then dropping it on your abrading stone and breaking it into three pieces.  I've never done that, it was only like 14 inches. ::)
Yes....that does sound like an epic fail!!!!!  I was just really disappointed because it was on my way to being the best I had ever done.  At this stage I couldn't dream of a 6 inch anything let alone 14 or 18 :-[  George.....thanks for the support!!! 
Leslie
Indiana

Offline StevenT

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2012, 03:07:22 pm »
Heck, most people wouldn't pick a mini Danish dagger as their first blade. That says you are confident and set your sights real high. :D :D   Your doing great, just keep swinging.