Author Topic: Bamboo quiver  (Read 7898 times)

Offline PatM

Re: Bamboo quiver
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 11:33:04 pm »
I make bamboo bike frames and preventing splitting is a key point of the process. Punch the nodes out and coat the inside.
 Letting the bamboo dry slowly is also a good preventative tip. I  have many bikes that have been going for years with no hints of cracking and they get ridden really hard.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2012, 02:28:17 am »
Shoot a picket fence of arrows around 'em, then beat 'em to death with the bow?  Whatever it takes Prarie Bowyer.   >:D

you may have read my post on the round the campfire and hunting thread where I missed at nearly point blank with a full quiver (compound), threw my skinning knife, missed, threw my knife sheath, missed, threw my quiver, missed.... deer finaly split when I yelled "G%$ F%^^ D#%*#&U# You F$^^# S$$$^ Head!

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2012, 02:29:24 am »
I make bamboo bike frames and preventing splitting is a key point of the process. Punch the nodes out and coat the inside.
 Letting the bamboo dry slowly is also a good preventative tip. I  have many bikes that have been going for years with no hints of cracking and they get ridden really hard.

Bamboo bikes!  Awe Crap... how much is this gonna cost me?

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2012, 11:32:13 am »
Doggone!  P B you were having one of those days.  It happens!  Deer are funny critters - you never know what they are gonna do.  I hunted with a fellow last year that wanted to take a couple of does for meat.  We were walking out at sundown and there was a doe feeding in a green patch.  He shot three times at it with a rifle and the deer went back to feeding!  Insult to injury - I couldn't help laughing out loud.  He is not a real dyed in the wool hunter....
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2012, 11:39:22 am »
I haven't had any problems with splitting.  I let it dry in the sun pretty thoroughly before doing anything with it.  Spray shellac coating.  I did find that it won't tolerate grain violations.  I thought about making a side access type quiver, but then splitting became a problem.   
  Here is another photo of the quiver.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 01:03:50 pm by hrhodes »
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline JO_EZ

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2012, 05:17:19 pm »
Oh, man, P.B.. You made my day!
I had a very similar incident one day, except I didn't think to throw anything. They only left when I started banging my head on the tree I was sitting in... litteraly. The nice thing was that it was close enough behind my buddy's parents' house that it was witnessed by his sister. His dad, then made sure to cook up a pan of eggs and sausage so that I had to sit through breakfast while they all mocked me before I went home  :-[.

Oh, and that is a really nice looking quiver.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2012, 05:21:03 pm »
The eggs and sausage probably went down better than the humiliation you were eating!   >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.