Author Topic: Bart Schleyer  (Read 4552 times)

Offline ibuildforhim

Bart Schleyer
« on: February 14, 2011, 06:49:10 pm »
Does anyone remember those photos of Bart Schleyer? In the pics of Bart shows a bow, looks to be a flatbow w/ rattlesnake skin. The limbs look to be maybe 5 or 6"  at mid limb.Can anyone tell me anything about these bows, I would like to build one of these. I dont know if its do to the weight of the bow or lenght or what.

Offline smoke

Re: Bart Schleyer
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 11:24:58 am »
I believe it was reported that his bow was modeled after the Meare Heath artifact.  He used the sinew of some animal that had been killed by a Siberian tiger.

Offline snag

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 03:47:18 pm »
He did shoot heavy poundage bows! In the recurves he shot 90#ers as I recall. Here is a picture of him with what I think is a selfbow.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 04:01:47 pm by snag »
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline smoke

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 07:09:47 pm »
Snag, your photo includes the very bow I was thinking of when I posted.  It isn't an exact replica of the Meare Heath - note the narrow outer limbs - but it was long and wide.  Apparently Bart told someone the Meare Heath was the inspiration for it.  And I also believe you are correct regarding the heavy draw weight of the bow.  You might be able to pull up a Field & Stream article on him which (I think) is where I got my information.

Offline ibuildforhim

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 07:17:15 pm »
I did google Meare Heath bows and all kind of info on the bow and storys of Bart came up.In this pic is said to be 105# sinew backed flat bow modeled after the Meare Heath bow. Thanks for the info guys, I think Im going to try and build one of these bows. If it turns out OK I will post some pics. Paul

Offline smoke

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 07:22:19 pm »
Paul, I noticed on Paleoplanet that an "exact" replica of the Meare Heath artifact was made by a guy in England.  There was a lot of discussion about it a few weeks ago.  I believe Bart's bow was more of a modified version and is the basis of the "over-built" bow that Paul Comstock wrote about in "The Bent Stick".   Bart's only clear deviation from Comstock's version seems to be the sinew backing.  I hope you make the bow and I certainly look forward to viewing the results!

Offline snag

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 08:39:25 pm »
Are you trying for 100#?  :o
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline ibuildforhim

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 10:22:26 pm »
I really dont know, I guess Ill see when I get to that point. 100# sounds like a lot, maybe 80# ?