Author Topic: tiller help  (Read 5917 times)

Offline H Rhodes

Re: tiller help
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2012, 10:45:19 am »
I agree with Stringman.  I would do some scraping on that left limb - maybe in the mid limb area, out to about 7 inches or so from the tip and get it bending to match that right limb.  Go slow and exercise the limbs about thirty pulls or so after each wood removal.  I think you can ease up on your target draw weight, or at least pretty close to it.  I don't like wooden glued up handles as much as one built up from tool leather.  That leather handle will bend with the bow.  Looks like it is coming along nicely!  Draw a couple of horizontal lines on that plywood behind the bow and make sure that your limbs tips are bending evenly...  Even bending is a biggy.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 10:50:58 am by hrhodes »
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2012, 11:56:23 am »
Yup, left limb is much stiffer. Try feeling the thickness between finger and thumb as you run your hand along it. A pair of vernier calipers tightened at one point and then slid towards the tip while you watch the slowly increasing gap will also help find any high spots. Check spot thickness every 6" or so too, compared with the right limb. Although it's all eye and feel at that realy matters in the end.
I know how you feel, it can be scary, but the bottom line is you gotta pull it back sometime. I'm mentally saying 'bang' to myself a s I pull it back, so that if it does go bang it won't be such a shock! ;D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline danny f

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2012, 12:42:11 pm »
well i have got it to full draw now, i still think the left limb is stiff. i havent taken anymore of the right limb all day lol. how does this look, if it is not to bad i may leave it, and put the stiff limb on the bottom,  as im well under weight, it is pulling 37 pound at full draw and i havent started sanding yet, i have now narrowed the handle and fades. in a way  im glad im under weight as i didnt realise how hard to draw it would be. i need some training  ;D

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2012, 12:55:51 pm »
Right limb is working rather hard just out from the fade (there's a funny pale triangular mark on the wall above the dodgy area). Left limb is quite nice.
If you ease the left one off just a tad it will take some load off that right one, maybe just a whisker off the right limb, mid to tip again to ease the load off that spot just out from the fade. Evening out the tiller will prob still give you 35# whish can still bang out an arrow if it's well tillered.
But heck , if it shoots, quit while you are ahead.
Del

Offline danny f

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2012, 01:25:17 pm »
cheers del, i have been out and done some more scraping, inbetween you sending the last post, these are the latest pics. i will go out and have a look at the right limb now.  :-[. i though it was a goner before the tiller tree rope snapped scared the life out of me lol.

Offline danny f

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2012, 01:27:06 pm »
i forgot to ask, what do mean by ease the left limb off? thanks.

Offline danny f

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2012, 02:05:07 pm »

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2012, 02:19:16 pm »
Looks like a shooter!  I may be wrong, but I think if you take your photograph from the same place and center focus right in the center of the bow, the true picture of your tiller will be more apparent to all your on-line mentors.  You have done a good job, now go and fling some arrows!! ;)
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2012, 03:43:51 pm »
By 'Ease off' the left limb, I just mean scrape/sand it down a tad all over, so you just weaken it a little but don't change the tiller of it.
It's looking better now, it's amazing how just a slight change can make it look a lot better even though it would be hard to actually pinpoint the difference.
Tillering is all about tuning your eyes to those subtle curves and changes.... mind it can drive you mad! That's why it's best to step away sometimes and leave it overnight.
Del

Offline danny f

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2012, 04:33:50 pm »
cheers for all the help everyone, i have decided to leave it that now, before i cause anymore problems. i will put pics on another thread when its completely finished, then onto the next lol. :)

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2012, 06:09:52 pm »
Good job! You fixed that tiller very well! It's a pity you've come in underweight, but it's a common beginners mistake. Been there myself for ages... Del the kitty has given you some excellent advice. He is spot on. I noticed that weak spot on the right limb as well, near that funny pale triangle on the wall. This spots still bothers me a bit. Please inspect it closely; is there a small knot, a chrysal on the belly, or a splinter ready to lift?

I can't judge from the pictures: have you rounded the corners on the back? I don't think you should change tiller anymore, but rounding the corners on the back is crucial. You'll loose only like 1 or 2 pounds, while it doesn't affect tiller (since you remove wood along the entire length of the limb). The rounded corners mean there's less chance for splinters to lift.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline danny f

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2012, 03:44:34 pm »
thanks darksoul, i have looked at the spot and cant see anything wrong there. there are no knots or anything obvious.   i have rounded all the edges off.   i have got more sanding to do then i may have another look at the tiller again and maybe make some adjustments if it really needs it, thanks again for all the advice i have been given. :)