Author Topic: Moisture content meters  (Read 2181 times)

Offline PeteC

Moisture content meters
« on: June 03, 2012, 10:48:32 pm »
Anyone have any recommendations for a quality moisture content meters? The most bang for the buck that is. ;)Thanks for any suggestions. God Bless
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 10:53:28 pm by PeteC »
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline aaron

Re: Moisture content meters
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 11:06:40 pm »
My suggestion is to forget moisture meters. Firstly, they are notoriously unreliable. secondly, you can determine equilibrium moisture content based on relative humidity and temperature. Just buy a temp/ humidity sensor, put it in your wood drying area and you can calculate the wood's moisture content. The only situation where this doesn't really work is if you are trying to "quick dry" a stave, and cannot wait until after it has reached equilibrium. Am i making sense here? What state are you in?, what woods do you work with? and do you have the TBB books?
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline aaron

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 11:08:36 pm »
texas i see. A dry part?
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline PeteC

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 11:17:28 pm »
No,East Texas. My problem is not with excess humidity as one might guess for this part of the state,but , for checking a number of roughed out staves that I seasoned in my hay barn since Feb. '11,and hopefully preventing any more breakage. I had 2 osage staves in a row break on the tiller board. I've done without a meter for 14 years,and a lot of bows,but never had problems on this end of the humidity spectrum,due to excessive heat and drought. Thanks for responding. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

UserNameTaken

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 11:19:00 pm »
I've got one from General Tool.  I think I paid about $40 for it & it seem to work.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 01:15:22 am »
The pin type moisture meters only measure between the pins and not in the center of the stave. I gave my moisture meter to Justin Snyder so he could check if his wood was too dry. Utah gets pretty dry.  I haven't missed not having a moisture meter. I can tell by feel and sound if a stave is dry enough.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 01:22:44 am »
What Aaron was saying. I used to have streaks of exploding bows. I got a RH sensor for about 10$ and found the humidity in our home got below 20% from our ac in the summer and heat in the winter. Got a humidifier in my mancave to keep it at 50% rh. No more broken bows unless I really make a mistake

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 01:47:54 am »
I use mine all the time. I have a Mini Ligno. It is the pin type and yes, it is true that it only measures the surface but there is a way to get around that. You just keep checking as you work the stave into a bow. When you get a reading over 10% stop and let the wood dry. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 04:08:45 am »
You can also drive Brads or small finishing nails into your stave at sacrificial point in the wood.
Touch your tester's pins to the nails to read deeper into the wood.

Per the instructions that came with my tester from Lee Valley.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline iowabow

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 09:48:01 am »
My meter works great but I use it to determine if i will be working the stave with a sealant or not. Here is the deal. When I cut my wood I leave it long. This will give you some wood to cut in half. Testing the center it will help you know a couple of things. I found that wood with a reading 13% will check if you are working in the sun on a windy day at 30% humidity. So as we chased the ring we sealed it.  Below 10 I never had a check. I think it is another tool that will give you a heads up to a potently problem. IMO it is not a tool that will tell you if it is ok tiller. In Iowa beadman does a simple test. He weights the stave (after it has been floor tillered) each day when it stops dropping wt it is good to go.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!