Author Topic: Briar pipe  (Read 12067 times)

Offline IsaacW

Re: Briar pipe
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2012, 02:31:00 pm »
Is that foreign wood what they use now and briar USED to be briar?  Just a thought.  I suppose any burl would work.  I just made a couple from cherry.

IW
We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 12:07:07 am »
JW,

When I lived in California and I was all of 18 I went into a gas station that had pipes. I had always wanted one because I liked the way it smells. I pointed to the pipe I wanted and the clerk redirected me to the "pot" pipes. I said. No I really want one of those granpa looking pipes. He still asked, "man are you sure?"

Yep. I was a happy kid with my $4 pipe and apple aroma  :laugh:

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2012, 01:06:30 am »
Yup... I have always loved pipes,their smoke, and their smell.  I have had one since I was 2y.o.

We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold

Offline wasanchez

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2012, 03:02:10 am »
I've got a little chunk of mesquite that I plan on using for a pipe.  For whatever reason I have a fascination with mesquite, plan on building a bow with one day if I can ever find a piece long and straight enough.... tall order.

Walt
Walter Sanchez
Moulton, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2012, 06:13:57 am »
I love mesquite too. I think every bow I've made since moving to Texas has had mesquite tip overlays. I brought home 1 piece about 4' long I thought might be straight enough for bow billets but as it dried it got crookeder.. :o  Good luck, I hope one of us finds a bow worthy piece.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2012, 11:09:58 am »
I bet persimmon would work. Pretty wood and hard stuff.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2012, 02:30:35 pm »
I brought home 1 piece about 4' long I thought might be straight enough for bow billets but as it dried it got crookeder.. :o George

I thought that was your goal?   >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2012, 05:38:18 pm »
Nah, that's just with osage. ;)

G
St Paul, TX

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2012, 12:35:54 am »
Anyone think cherry wood would make a good pipe BC I got a ton of that.
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2012, 11:23:38 pm »
"Devlin Anes" huh?  There is a great story about him in a Manly Wade Wellman sci-fi from the early days.  Wonder if they have the hatfield/mecoy show @ the library yet?  I've not even heard of it, what's it on?  dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2012, 12:31:14 am »
Derik, the Hatfields and the McCoys was a 3 part mini series on the history channel.  It was very good.  They have been replaying it on other channels. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline wasanchez

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2012, 12:33:21 am »
Yes and it was EPIC!!!  You should try and catch it.

Walt
Walter Sanchez
Moulton, TX

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2012, 10:58:26 pm »
They have been replaying it on the Lifetime Channel.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2012, 12:03:45 am »
I haven't had a TV station in 12 years.  If they don't have it @ the library...I haven't had the chance to see it.   :-\  I'll look into it though.  I like that kinda shtuff. dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Parnell

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2012, 12:25:24 am »
I do love a good pipe, although I don't smoke anymore, much, myself.  I can make a jiffy pipe out of a lot of things, having been a crafty teenager.  My wife got my a "briar pipe" at an antique shop in Tennesse 3 years ago.  I got it squirreled away in an antique Phillie tin box.  It still smells like good tobacco even though it hasn't seen a fire in probably half that time.  I don't like the way smoke makes my lungs feel, but I sure love the smell.

I tell my wife that she shouldn't ride me too hard about inconsequential things or when I get too old to "git around" I'll resign myself to a rockin' chair, old whiskey and a pipe.  I'm not kiddin', either. ;)
1’—>1’