Author Topic: HHB Warbow: A build along  (Read 25751 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
HHB Warbow: A build along
« on: June 06, 2012, 07:31:50 pm »
I recently had a request for a heavy weight warbow and the fellow asked if I could do a build along here on it, to which I said yes.  I started on the bow about 3 weeks ago by first going through my supply of Ironwood and picking out a suitable piece, I wanted something with some natural reflex to it.  I then reduced it to rough dimensions and then sticking it in the attic of my shop for a week or so, it was sunny at the time and perfect for reducing the MC to very low levels.  The reason for this is that this bow is to be a heat-treated bow and when the thickness of the wood gets somewhat thick you can get some nasty surprises when heat-treating.  Even with a very low MC you need to go very slow when heat-treating a thick stave, it took me almost a week to heat-treat this bow.  The problem is that the high heat pushes water ahead of it inside the wood and if it builds up to fast it can split the belly so I had to start and stop many times.  The splitting doesn't affect the function of the bow but it does affect the aesthetics of it.  Once I felt that the stave was dry enough I took it down and finished roughing out the shape and proceeded to get ready to heat-treat it.  Here is a picture of the roughed out bow.

The stave was nicely reflexed and this was good as even with heat-treating I expected the bow to take some set..  Anyway as I said above it took me the better part of a week to fully heat-treat the bow.  I let the bow hydrate for a few days then I started to do a bit of tillering, this was last week.  I clamped the bow sideways in my vise and pushed on the limb tips, it was like pushing on a tree.  The starting dimensions were 1 1/2" wide at the center by 1 1/16" thick and gradually tapering in width and thickness with an overall length of 75".  I worked away reducing the width to just under 1 7/16" wide but still leaving the thickness to over 1" thick.  Here is a picture of the bow at that point.

I was slowly ably to "floor" tiller it, using my vise, then with the use of a long string I got it tillered up to brace height, which is where I am at now.  The bow gave me a nasty one yesterday though.  I was doing some long string tillering using a T stick with the bow clamped into my vise and hadn't noticed that the bow was twisting a bit.  I had the bow pulled back and locked in place with the T stick at about 15" of draw so I could examining the tillered shape when the T stick twisted off.  It promptly swung around and whacked me on my thumb.  Today I braced it for the first time and tried to pull it back, yikes.  I need to work it down it a bit more.  Out of curiosity I used my hand-held scale I tested it to about 12", it registered 70#.  I don't have any pictures of the bow braced yet but will shortly.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 11:18:36 am by Marc St Louis »
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Badger

Re: HHB Warbow: A build along
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 08:47:17 pm »
  Looking forward to following this one Mark.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 10:00:50 pm »
Well Steve, I have started on the bow but that doesn't necessarily mean it will survive till the end.  It is a good piece of wood though.

I took the opportunity to adjust the string alignment this afternoon.  Here is a picture of the bow braced and one of the string alignment.

Going away for a few days so I won't get back to work on this bow till next week.

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 10:11:18 pm »
The splitting doesn't affect the function of the bow but it does affect the aesthetics of it. 

But being a craftsman with some pride in your workmanship, you just avoid those things.  It's just the difference between "good" and "good enough". 

Looking forward to seeing the progression on this one, Marc!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 10:13:04 pm »
ill be watching this wrestling match....looks like your winning so far Marc   ;)    nice piece of wood

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 12:37:50 am »
Ya, this'll be a good one, I can feel it :)  No breaks allowed Mark!

Offline Ian.

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 07:57:03 am »
Excellent, looking forward to seeing how this one develops.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 08:30:02 am »
Lookin good . What weight/draw length are you aiming for?
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 08:55:00 am »
This bow is destined to go up to 150# @ 32".  I have a 14 strand FF string on it and it is feeling the strain.  I have it tillered to 18" so far using my T stick but I have to switch methods as I can't pull it far enough with one hand to get it past that mark now.

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 09:07:45 am »
I'm eagerly awaiting updates.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 04:36:51 pm »
Yes Sir!

Looking forward to watching your progress.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 06:51:23 pm »
looking good, cant wait to it pulled back (or winched back) ;)
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 07:26:07 pm »
It should be interesting but I'm away from home right now so any more updates will have to wait till Monday.

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 07:39:48 pm »
I did some work to this bow today and have a few pictures showing the tillering progress.  This first picture shows the bow drawn to 22"

The shape is good so I continue and here it is drawn to 24"

Again the drawn shape is good here so I proceed and here it is drawn to 26"

The draw weight here is 115#.  You can see in some of the pictures that I have to use a 2 hand draw on these with a glove to protect my drawing hand.

Unfortunately I have to go out of town again so I won't be able to do any more work on it for a few days.

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

mikekeswick

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 04:26:09 am »
Looking very nice so far.