Author Topic: Fort Union  (Read 1305 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Fort Union
« on: June 09, 2012, 01:33:17 am »
Looks like next week I am heading up to Williston, ND and west to Ft Union National Historic Site for their Rendezvous!  Yeehaw!  They have rebuilt the fur trade fort at the confluence of the Yellowstone River and the Missouri.  It's a great event even though National Park Service rules do not allow participants to shoot their muzzleloaders (or any gun for that matter). 

Mark Baker, author of Sons of the Trackless Forest, and prominant living historian will be there as special speaker.  I can't wait to smell the woodsmoke, eat too much bacon, and hang around with people wearing funny clothes and not bathing.   >:D

I know there are a few folks of similar interests that lurk in here but don't post.  If you will be there, please be so kind as to introduce yourself to me when I get there.  I'll be scraping bows and making arrows under my shade fly.  There may be cold refreshments in it for you, too. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline 4est Trekker

Re: Fort Union
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 01:44:39 am »
Sure wish I could join you!  Have a great time and eat some bacon for me! :)
"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 07:10:32 am »
...hang around with people wearing funny clothes and not bathing.   >:D

Sounds like Texas hog hunting...when are you coming down for that?

It does sound interesting, have fun JW.

G
St Paul, TX

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 10:10:56 am »
JW  Is Issac going with you?  You will have him completely brainwashed if you take him!  You would be my hero if you could trade for some "flint river" while you are there!  Sounds like fun!  A/Ho Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 02:36:16 pm »
Isaac is working full time 7 days a week at a local Boy Scout Camp this year.  I got him interested when we went thru a couple wooden chests of clothing, gear, and weapons. 

There are two gravel-heads that usually go to this event and do a little knapping.  I will see if I can score some Rainy Buttes or Knife River Flint from them.  I'm also going to sift thru their debitage piles to see if any of it can be salvaged for gunflints.  The one and only KRF gunflint I ever owned was a magical piece of stone, my Early Lancaster .50 just loved it. 

George...Bevan is harrassing me on just that very subject.  I am afraid my will ro resist is weakening.  I don't know what kind of black voodoo he has over me, but he has talked me into some strange things.   Like his cat poo coffee.  YUM!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.