Author Topic: Noob bowyer... Help?  (Read 4700 times)

Offline Stanley2015

Re: Noob bowyer... Help?
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 11:30:11 am »
Ok, i'll try to post pics today, however i'm using my phone for all this so it might take a while so bear with me
Bowyer 4 life!

Offline scp

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 01:09:34 pm »
Stanley, all depends on what you are trying to do with your bow. I make self bows for physical exercise. Nothing much matters other than spending some time moving my body. If you wanna hunt deer with your bow, you probably need to buy it for now. If you wanna pretend to be a primitive hunter, just string a small sapling and shoot it. I bet you can make a survival bow in a couple of hours. If you wanna become a proper bowyer and routinely build selfbows that shoot over 160 FPS, read the book, please. Good luck.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 03:33:00 pm »
I highly recommend going out and buying a hardwood board to start your first bows on while you wait for staves to dry. They are already dry so you could literally start working a board today and have a finished bow before the weekend is over.

Red oak is probably the most common, and its a great starting point. But you can find boards of cherry, maple, ash etc, and all can make good bows. Just make sure that the grain is as straight as possible. Straight grain is absolutely key for board bows. If that means walking out of the building supplied empty handed, and waiting a couple weeks for new stock, well so be it. There is just no way around it.  Crooked grained boards will just be a source of frustration and discouragement.

Boards bows aren't usually as reliable as bows made from an actual stave like you have, but they are great for learning how to tiller, and to experiment on.

About the pocket knife, you could use that, but if you are going to get serious, you'll probably want a drawknife and a wood rasp. Luckily both of these things can be picked up pretty cheap, and they will make processing your bow much faster, and more enjoyable in my opinion.

Offline Stanley2015

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2012, 09:50:55 pm »
I just bought a drawknife off of ebay. Very good condition for $21. Below are pics of my stave...

i've already de barked the stave and begun to shape it from the bottom.
Bowyer 4 life!

Offline Weylin

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2012, 09:56:20 pm »
how long, how wide and what kind of wood is it? i would recommend not taking any more wood off until you have a game plan and a design in mind.

Offline Stanley2015

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2012, 10:36:27 pm »
1 inch wide, 60 inches long, im not sure on the type of wood, and flat recurve
Bowyer 4 life!

Offline Weylin

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2012, 12:40:23 am »
what is your draw length and your intended draw weight? I don't think you should try a recurve for your first bow, especially with a mystery wood. Recurving a bow creates more strain on the limbs which means the tiller has to be that much better. It is also harder for beginners to judge the tiller on a recurve. Better to make a simple straight limbed bow that you can really focus on getting a good tiller on. Depending on your draw length it is likely that your bow will need to bend through the handle to safely make it all the way back.

Offline Stanley2015

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2012, 01:12:23 am »
Draw length 28" intended draw weight 40-50 lbs.
Bowyer 4 life!

Offline Weylin

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2012, 01:22:39 am »
Take a look at this. Gordon made a beautiful bend through the handle hazelnut bow with a 3" diameter 60" long stave. With such a thin stave yours will come out a little differently but this could be a valuable reference for you as you go along.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,4815.0.html

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2012, 05:50:31 am »
That branch is a funny piece of wood to practice your woodworking skills and tools on, but don't expect it to become a shootable bow. It is too narrow, too short, too mysterywood and too knotty in my book. I would still highly recommend you to read the first Traditional Bowyers Bible. It will be an amazing eye-opener.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Stanley2015

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2012, 07:10:08 pm »
with my recent purchase of an 8 inch draw knife, i should be able to shape it a lot faster now. Also, i harvested another bow stave, Mulberry, 2 inch diameter, 42 inches long. What shall i do with it?
Bowyer 4 life!

Offline scp

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2012, 07:33:57 pm »
with my recent purchase of an 8 inch draw knife, i should be able to shape it a lot faster now. Also, i harvested another bow stave, Mulberry, 2 inch diameter, 42 inches long. What shall i do with it?

You can probably make a flatbow out of it,
especially if you are willing to read this book:
"North American bows, arrows, and quivers [microform] (1893)"
http://archive.org/details/cihm_17444

Offline Stanley2015

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2012, 07:37:46 pm »
Hmmm, do you think i could recurve it?
Bowyer 4 life!

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2012, 08:48:15 pm »
42" is awefully short. Recurves (and sinew) might help in getting the string angle right. But with your limited experience, I would highly advice against it. Get the basics of woodworking and tillering first, before you start making things complicated with things such as backings and recurves.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286