Author Topic: Snakeskin  (Read 1326 times)

Offline LivingElemental

• Appalachi/Wataugi/East Tennessee
Snakeskin
« on: June 14, 2012, 03:24:38 am »
I've come to notice that snakeskin backing a bow is one of the sexiest things I've ever seen. I'm really just wondering if snakeskin is used by itself as a proper backing, or if it's just meant as a decorative cover to maybe mask a less attractive backing, like my personal cheap-o favorite, 3 strips of sheet rock tape.

In addition, does anyone know an inexpensive way to come across snakeskin, because I feel like I'm going to have to hunt for it myself. Don't get me wrong, I would probably have a blast, but hunting non-venomous snakes in Georgia is illegal, and I prefer my muscle tissue not rotted out by cottonmouth or diamondback poison.

Thank you for your time.
Alzamaal illi yadour 'ala qurnayn fakhira, yarja' idhana maqtu'a.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Snakeskin
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 06:58:00 am »
Unless you go with a big snake ,like Python or boa constricter ,they are only good for decoration. No added protection to the bow,most are thin and fragile. As far as cheap way to get them,I don't know if you don't do it yourself,guess it depends on what you call expensive, most are around $50.00 a pair. Illegal in TN. also so I trade for most of mine.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 07:39:17 am »
Snake skins provide moisture protection for a sinew backing.  I back all of my sinewed bows.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 08:46:19 am »
Not doubting that Osage,I have heard that a lot,I just don't see how ??? they sure ant waterproof,pretty tho and look a lot better than my sinew jobs so I do the same just for a different reason.  ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline LivingElemental

• Appalachi/Wataugi/East Tennessee
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 10:43:14 am »
I don't remember hunting snakes being illegal when I was a kid. I'm from the Johnson City/Elizabethton area, so I grew up around Watauga Lake killing black snakes and helping skin water moccassins. Maybe me and my dad just did it regardless.  Also, I've got an Army buddy from Clarkesville. You don't happen to know Eddie Gribbins, do you?
Alzamaal illi yadour 'ala qurnayn fakhira, yarja' idhana maqtu'a.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 10:52:25 am »
Pappy,  I would think the skin plus 6 or 7 coats of tru-oil has to shed water better than nothing at all.  But I ain't for sure because I don't let'em get wet either way  :)
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 11:45:36 am »
I hear ya Osage,I do the same if I can help it. No I don't guess I know him.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good