Author Topic: Louisiana chert types?  (Read 2483 times)

Offline TRACY

Louisiana chert types?
« on: June 14, 2012, 08:57:02 pm »
Taking a short vacation with the family and we got into the New Orleans area yesterday and went out to some of the bayous. Finding smaaaaall chunks of a jet black chert and a caramel/grey chert. Both are of high grade but small in size. Anyone know what they are and are there any areas in southern LA to find larger chunks? I know pics would help, but lack the technology right now. Thanks for any help !

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Louisiana chert types?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 12:07:51 pm »
Don't have a clue Tracy. I have friends in Lake Charles but they ain't knappers. Only thing i've ever found along the coast was hauled in for backfill or landscaping.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 11:46:14 pm »
Thanks Cowboy. There is a LA knapper on another site that talks about it and larger chunks of the black chert can be found, but not readily. Almost to Lake Charles and will keep checking. It's kinda tough for someone who's not use to gators and cottonmouths ???

Tracy

Offline jcinpc

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 10:37:07 pm »
that state is know for some of the most awesome petrified palm.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 10:05:52 am »
I didn't find any knappable palm but was looking where I could. Cowboy mentioned that a lot of rock gets shipped/trucked in and that may be what I was finding. I'll post pics of what I found later.

Thanks Tracy