Author Topic: need mechanic advice  (Read 1399 times)

Offline seabass

need mechanic advice
« on: June 16, 2012, 12:06:17 am »
hey guys,i was loading the canoe tonite to go bowfishing in the morning.tried to start the truck and nothing.i tried jumping it and it did nothing.the battery is good,i checked it.i went bowfishing last weekend and it was fine.it is an 84 power ram prospector with a 318.the lights won't come on or anything else.any help from you dodge guys would be greatly appreciated.thanks,Steve
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: need mechanic advice
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 12:23:41 am »
Take the battery cables off, clean them and the posts on the battery and gice it another try.
 I learned a long time ago to try the simple stuff first. Many times that will fix it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 01:09:50 am »
I had the same sounding problem on my 98 Stratus.  Check the fuse for the starter.  If the fuse is blown, the starter is grounding out internally.  Took mine off and had it checked.  Both Autozone and advance auto said my starter was working perfect, yet every time I replaced the fuse and turned the key, the fuse blew.  I bought a new starter, replaced the fuse again and its worked fine since.

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 01:17:09 am »
Put a FORD sticker on it and it will crank,,  sorry,I had to!!!!     >:D
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 01:23:41 am »
If you have 12vdc at the battery and nothing works in your car, do as pat said and clean the battery terminals. Chances are you have a bad ground. Also follow the ground from the battery to the frame and engine and remove and clean also.

Offline johnston

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 09:01:52 am »
The starter...had one gone through twice and it checked good. Finally an old feller I knew
took it apart anyway and found that the brushes were so worn that they would occasionally
ground out and blow the fuse.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 09:09:17 am »
If you clean the posts and still have nothing, follow the wires to the end and make certain the connection is good on both ends. Your starter switch could also be bad. Not sure if you know how to use a screw driver or short wire to by pass the solenoid, but sometimes the solenoid can be bad.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 09:28:50 am »
Being a 1984 Dodge Im guessing this is the first problem you have had with it eh' buddy? Dodges are mean.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 10:08:53 am »
I learned how to cuss under the hood of a pick up truck....  Might need new cables for your battery.  9 times out of 10, it ends up being some sort of problem with battery connection or a blown fuse.  Good luck bro. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline seabass

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 11:23:39 am »
thanks guys for the help.i am going out to check all these things.first up cables and fuses.i have got to get her running today.it is the only way i have to haul my canoe.she won't let me strap it to the top of her car :(
Middletown,Ohio

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 01:08:08 pm »
What Pat said.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline seabass

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 05:09:06 pm »
i got her fixed guys.it was my ignition modual.it had a meltdown.when it did,it also blew a fuse in the process.got her done now and going bowfishing in the morning.i really appreciate all the advice from every one of you guys.thanks a bunch,Steve
Middletown,Ohio