Author Topic: sinew backing ?  (Read 3004 times)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
sinew backing ?
« on: June 16, 2012, 05:59:41 pm »
I'm getting ready to add sinew backing to a bow and found while searching that acetone was recommended to degrease the wood before applying the sinew. I'm wondering what other products may be used in place of the acetone since I'm a ways from town and don't have any.
I've got mineral spirits, isopropyl alcohol, denatured alcohol, lacquer thinner, and other products on hand in the shop but wanted to find out before proceeding. Didn't want to run to town and spend the money if something else would work.
Thanks, Fred
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline osage outlaw

Re: sinew backing ?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 06:06:32 pm »
Dish soap and very hot water.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Traxx

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 06:14:05 pm »
Lye,Wood ashes and hot water,are the old traditional method.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 06:22:22 pm »
I've got dish soap and a 55 gallon drum of wood ashes. Do I need to completely dry the bow again before proceeding with the sinew application?
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 07:21:17 pm »
Fred, you want to degrease the bow just before adding the sinew. The wood being wet will help the glue saturate the wood well. I washed the back of the bow with Dawn dish soap and warm water and rinsed it with boiling water to clean the last 2 bows I sinewed and it worked great...not nearly as toxic as acetone or other solvents.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 10:03:08 pm by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline razorsharptokill

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 07:59:25 pm »
Acetone can absorb through the skin fast enough to be detected n the blood in a short time.( Learned this in an auto body class) Be sure to wear gloves when you use it guys.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq)
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanstan

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 08:52:21 pm »
You can leave it as is if you dont want to use anything on it. Rough it up good and lay the sinew down. 
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 08:55:26 pm by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 10:58:37 pm »
Thanks for all your help. While the latest answers came in I was out in the shop applying the sinew. Hope I didn't mess up by not roughing up the back.
I did a  double Dawn cleansing and double rinse with super hot water. After the first washing the rinse seemed to bead up in a couple of spots so I did a repeat.
Ended up using some Knox gelatin that I've had on hand for years. Seemed to work well and not really as messy as I thought it would be although extra sinew kept sticking to my hands like melted cotton candy.
Brought the bow back into the living area as the humidity in the shop seems high and wanted to try to shorten the drying time.
Should a couple weeks be enough before applying snake skin?

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 11:33:13 pm »
I've got mineral spirits, isopropyl alcohol, denatured alcohol, lacquer thinner, and other products on hand in the shop but wanted to find out before proceeding. Didn't want to run to town and spend the money if something else would work.
Thanks, Fred

I know it's too late, but the primary ingredient in lacquer thinner is acetone, same with nail polish remover.  All I use anymore is a bottle of nail polish remover one of the girls left in our spare bathroom.  I don't rough up my bows that much anymore.  Normally I just run some coarse sandpaper over it right before I degrease.

Should a couple weeks be enough before applying snake skin?

I would say yes, if the bow stays in the house 2 weeks is long enough to let it dry before snakeskin.  If I were you I'd shoot it a few times before applying the snakeskin.  I don't like to apply snakeskin until I have the bow shot in and ready to finish.

George
St Paul, TX