Author Topic: hickory?  (Read 1712 times)

Offline mcginnis6010

hickory?
« on: June 16, 2012, 05:46:56 pm »
I think this is hickory what do y'all think? Found it dead.
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

Offline mcginnis6010

Re: hickory?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 05:48:05 pm »
Another picture

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 06:04:18 pm »
I'm not real good on tree ID's, but that looks like it might be Black Locust.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 06:32:41 pm »
I didn't see any thorns on it. I thought BL had thorns. Its a very large tree about 3ft in circumference near the trunk.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 07:17:03 pm »
Looks like black locust to me too. If it were hickory I would suggest you not use a dead tree for bows but locust is OK to used dead or alive in most cases. Split it  and see what the inside looks like.
  Locust has thorns only on its twigs. Honey locust had large, multi thorn clusters along the trunk.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 07:19:16 pm »
Black locust. It loses its thorns when the tree matures, but you'll find the thorns still on younger branches.

Definitely NOT hickory.

In general, you must not be using dead wood from dead trees that have been laying down in the woods for God knows how long. The only three exceptions in my mind would be yew, osage and black locust. All other woods will deteriorate (fungi, bacteria, water decay) in a matter of weeks. This piece of black locust still looks fine and should make a good bow.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 08:54:12 pm »
Yep its black locust.  I tell ya it was harder to split than any other wood that I've worked with.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 10:07:18 pm »
It is well aged!  ;)   All you have to do now is dry it out.  Treat this just like a fresh cut tree. Seal the ends, split it in half or quarters, get the sapwood and bark off and seal the back.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 12:01:20 am »
I've sealed the ends and back already how long do you think I should fry it being that its not a green tree?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 01:08:31 am »
I've never fried wood but I bet its good. Everything else is good when fried.  ::)
 A good rule of thumb is 1" of thickness per year.  You can shorten the drying time by reducing a stave to almost bow size and set it aside in a dry spot. Under your bed is a good place.
 Start out slow drying the wood until it looses some moisture. You don't want it to dry too quickly because it will check.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 08:50:50 am »
You can shorten the drying time by reducing a stave to almost bow size and set it aside in a dry spot. Under your bed is a good place.

You have clearly seen my bed   O:) It's my lil' goldmine  >:D

Split to quarters, seal ends and let it dry for at least one year before it will be dry.
--OR--
Split, remove bark and sapwood, rough out the bow to near finished dimensions so it just starts to bend. If you put it in a dry place, it will be ready to work with in a month or two.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286