Author Topic: Hello, new guy from SoCal  (Read 4468 times)

Offline Orion

Hello, new guy from SoCal
« on: August 09, 2012, 08:35:56 pm »
Hi, I am new to the site and I just wanted to introduce myself.  My name is Bryan and I have always had an intense interest in archery, hunting, fishing and the tools of the people that preceded us.  I have been an archer and bowhunter for most of my life, but a few years ago I was sitting there hunting with my wheeled, modern monster and realized that I was really missing something big.  I have since taken up flintknapping and am getting started with the art of bowmaking. Reading through the "Traditional Bowyer's Bible" now. Very soon I will attempt to make my first (and probably not last bow).  This is a great, very informative site, thanks for the great info, and please bear with my many future questions! Take care!

Bryan

Offline hunterbob

Re: Hello, new guy from SoCal
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 08:51:11 pm »
Hi Bryan.I am new around this site also.but I have to say I love it.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 08:52:58 pm »
Welcome! You found the right place.

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 08:54:00 pm »
Welcome to the "real" world. Glad your eyes are starting to open. Do you know what path your about to take?  >:D

Offline Orion

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 08:59:07 pm »
Lol, I can only imagine at this point, I just have this burning desire to hunt with a bow, points and arrows that I made from scratch.  Once I started reading and planning I quickly realized that I would never look at a tree the same way again, lol. 

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 12:00:07 am »
Southern California huh! Welcome to PA!!!

What do you think your first bow is gonna be? Wood? Design? Performance goals? (draw weight ect.)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Orion

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 12:14:42 am »
My first will likely be a self bow of oak board or whatever I can find locally. I would be happy with a first bow that even shoots, as it will be a learning experience.  Beyond that, for my hunting bow it will likely be something 55-60 lbs, but not sure on wood or style. Eventually I would like to get to the point that I harvest my own stave and complete the process from the beginning.  I am leaving my options open until I learn more

Offline coaster500

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 01:21:22 am »
Lots of help and great folks here....  Welcome :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Weylin

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 01:44:59 am »
Sounds like you have a good plan to get started. Some guys wanna start with a Mongolian composite bow or something equally ridiculous.  ::) Keep it simple and you wont be sorry.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 07:37:35 am »
Welcome,I know you will like it here ,looking forward to seeing some of your work. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good