Author Topic: So theres long string, theres a short string... ...how about a "braced" string?  (Read 1462 times)

Offline toomanyknots

I was thinking I wanted to tiller out a longbow to fulldraw without putting nocks in it, so that I can flip the tips without messing up the nocks, which is what happened to me last time. I only like to flip the tips on a longbow after it is tillered completely. I was thinking of maybe making a string with leather loops on the end like on a stringer and use it as a make shift string to tiller a bow completely. Anybody ever do this?
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Leave the tips heavy and cut in temporary string nocks. You can tiller a bow with tips the size of 2x4s if you wanted. I almost always leave handles blocky and tips thick and wide at least until first brace. When you are ready to bend the tips, reduce them , eliminating the temporary string nocks.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

i've got a string like that, but it dosnt give a true read like cut in nock's, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Or... glue a temporary tip overlay onto the back, just a scrap of almost any wood will do, it gives you something to fille a decent nock groove into without touching the actual bow wood..
I've done that a few times on ELB, easy enough to rasp/file 'em off when you are ready to fit horn nocks/flip tips etc.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.