Author Topic: bendy handle  (Read 2096 times)

Offline darwin

bendy handle
« on: July 10, 2012, 03:50:43 pm »
I'm about to start tillering out my first bend in the handle bow and was wondering if anyone had any tips. i would like just a slight bend and was wondering if it was as simple as it seems in my head

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: bendy handle
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 04:36:23 pm »
Keep an old scratched cd, coffee can lid, or 45 rpm record handy.  When you put it on the tillering tree, hold the circular disk of choice up to compare against the curve of the bow.  They should match.   
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 05:43:39 pm »
I generally get the mid limb bending first then bring the center of the bow around near the end. I like to feel the handle bend only when I approach full draw.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 05:53:30 pm »
from my experience, its best to let it bend a little less than needed than more than needed. More than needed= set in the handle and this results in a very sluggish bow. take pats advice
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 05:58:26 pm »
I tiller my limbs out like always (evenly) takeing the handle down as I go. I like leaveing it a few pound heavy at this stage. When I have the tiller close I'll tiller on down through the fades and to the handle. KEEPING THE BEND IN THE HANDLE I WANT. When you get the handle been you want it only takes a few scrapes and sanding to even up the limb tiller to the handle. Keep sanding evenly untill you have the poundage you want.
  HOPE THAT MAKES SOME SINCE TO YOU. Or do as I did when I learned jump right in there you'll be fine. But go slowwwwwwwwwwwwwww once the woods off there's no going back.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline darwin

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 11:04:04 am »
thanks guys

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 11:24:00 am »
  For some bendy handles are easy, I have been making bows for a long time and I still struggle, my eyes just don't like to see the middle bend. I do like Pat says now, I tiller out to about 25" and then slowly scrape down the center 8" of the bow till I have the same weight at 28". I really don't see or feel the bend much here.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 11:40:37 am »
Gotta go but see Building  a Board Bow on my site. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/index.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!