Author Topic: Backing......Schmaking  (Read 5180 times)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Backing......Schmaking
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 07:25:15 pm »
Don't miss the point being made by several people.  A backing just might keep a poorly constructed bow from breaking, just as lots of salt pork can make a bad bowl beans edible.  Neither will be very satisfying.  Wash, soak and rinse them beans before you put 'em on to cook...slowly.  The extra time spent in preparation will pay off in the end.  Shave, scrape, sand and shape...slowly, before you string it up.  You won't need the extra insurance a backing might offer if your tiller is good.  (A little salt pork, however is always a good idea with beans.)  Good beans, good bows and good luck with your next one! Good gosh, let's eat!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 10:01:17 pm »
Bob...how'd you stay so "slim" talkin like that?? ???
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2012, 10:56:25 pm »
Kenny, you bein' a Mississippi boy, you know what I'm talkin' about on them beans.  Lot's of my Kinfolk there.

Offline bow101

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2012, 10:57:54 pm »
I like your analogy Slim.......
"A backing just might keep a poorly constructed bow from breaking" Mmmmmmmm thought i said that.. ???
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2012, 11:07:03 pm »
A board is just a stave with a radically alternative lifestyle.  And to quote Seinfeld, "Not that there's anything wrong with that!" 

For that matter, you could call a decrowned stave a board. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2012, 11:34:46 pm »
Bow101.  I hope you didn't misconstrue my earlier point.  I'm not saying that YOU made a poorly tillered bow.  I was simply saying that in general, for anyone, a backing can save a poorly tillered bow.  I just walked past a dog I made a decade ago.  Never broke, but should have and would have if it were not Bois D'Ark.  I finished it and gave it to a friend....  He gave it back!

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2012, 12:14:44 am »
I'll agree with almost all that. Except the idea that a board bow is some how less of a bow than any stave. Bunch of nonsense if ya ask me!!! Seems like kind of a high and mighty thing to say...that a bowyer or a bow is not as good as any other just cause it's a board and not a stave. I understand a board is less primitive than a stave, but it's a bow, so why make a statement like that. Anyway, If I had to pick a favorite backing material, I'd go with bamboo!!

Tattoo Dave   
Rockford, MI

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2012, 12:19:05 am »
You could give rawhide a shot
Clatskanie, Oregon