Author Topic: stripped vs. ground feathers  (Read 4557 times)

Offline briarjumper12

stripped vs. ground feathers
« on: July 11, 2012, 09:19:49 am »
It seems most everyone uses ground feathers. I stripped a few yesterday to try out.
Will stripped feathers hold up good? If they do, what makes it worth all the trouble to grind down the quills.
I am working on a grounding system but if the stripped feathers work just as good, why not go that route? I think I will like the low profile the stripped feathers have on the shaft compared to ground.

What's your alls sentiments on this issue?

John

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: stripped vs. ground feathers
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 10:51:02 am »
I like stripped feathers for my personal arrows but if I am making arrows for someone else I use ground feathers.  There's no difference in durability if you glue them down and spiral wrap.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 11:30:06 am »
Ground feathers are easier to insert in a feather clamp. That's about the only difference I've seen. They both hold up well.

Offline briarjumper12

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 12:27:01 pm »
Thank you for the comments gentlemen.  I will soon fletch some up with stripped feathers and try them out.

I have some thread I intend to spiral wrap with.  What kind of glue should I use on it? And do soak the thread, then wrap, or wrap and then coat in some kind of glue?
Thanks,
John

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 03:22:01 pm »
I always start by stripping.  Just some of the feathers tear out a lot of quill, so those get ground down.  As earlier mentioned, the only advantage to ground is that they hold better in a clamp.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 09:08:01 am »
I put them on with fletch tape, then wrap. Keeps them from wiggling.

Offline briarjumper12

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 01:26:00 am »
I am going to be trying a wrap too.  Should be pretty cool.  Just got the shafts stained this evening.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 02:25:04 pm »
bj12, I think some folks soak the feathers for a bit before stripping.  Just an idea, I've only stripped a few, and have never soake them, but I think some prefer soaking.  good luck, dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

FAW

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 11:16:27 am »
This may be " old hat" to some here but I position the ground feather in the clamp and then file it down to the shape of the particular clamp I am using so that just a trace of the former ground is visible and still allow enough base to clamp. It also allows for good adhesion and a very uniform spiral wrap.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 10:50:16 am »
  Toms right only difference I can see is it's easer to put in a clamp.
 I've used both but strated out grining mine and never really got over doing it. I don't get in a hurry so it's just one more step I enjoy doing.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline briarjumper12

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 11:45:36 pm »
The ones I stripped I put in a vise, base down and started stripping from the top.  Been too busy to get much done lately but I got the shafts ready for a few coats of poly or tru oil or tung oil, whatever I grab first.  Then I'll fletch and photo em for you guys.  May take a while though. I just picked up a used jointer, router table and work bench with tail vises and I'd say I'll have to foo with them for a day or two before I get back to arrow building.

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 01:20:11 pm »
I was just going to add that if you're wrapping them for the first time, there is a right and wrong direction and that will be dictated by the feather. One direction will fight you and the other will fall in smoothly. You'll get the hang of it rather quickly.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 02:45:19 pm »
To answer the question of whether to apply glue to the wrapping before or after, I always apply glue on top of the spiral wrap after it is done.  I apply the front and back wrappings with glue during and after.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline dbb

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 10:06:20 am »
I have some problems stripping feathers (need more practice)But its worth the hassle when shooting off the hand.
More than once i have pulled featherfragments out from blodied knuckles.
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 02:22:33 pm »
Try taking your feathers and putting them in a Walmart bag or such and put them in the freezer for a day or so before you try and strip them.. Most of the time when you have a problem stripping them it is because they are to dry. Putting them in the freezer will solve that..