Author Topic: knabble rock around georgetown sc??  (Read 1003 times)

Offline chadwickdsmith

knabble rock around georgetown sc??
« on: July 12, 2012, 09:15:27 pm »
Going to the beach for the week and would like to see if there is any knapple rock around georgetown or pawleys island.  I get tired of haveing to pay for rock and have it shipped.  Any help sure would be appreciated.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: knabble rock around georgetown sc??
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 09:47:34 am »
Georgetown is some premo stuff but not from sc ::). I'm not sure exactly where that is but found all kinds of quartz eroded out of the banks of a lake there (seems like it was grand lake?). Maybe someone can point you in the direction of some nice rhyolite.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline RickB

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 12:09:16 pm »
Living in SC and having been to Georgetown SC (which is located just South of Myrtle Beach) about the only thing I've heard of around there is limestone mostly from nearby quarries, no flint/chert. Tried a piece or two of it and didn't like it for knapping. For rhyolite you need to head to the Uwharrie Mountain area of North Carolina or East of it. Rick B

Offline chadwickdsmith

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 05:04:03 pm »
thanks i thought I had heard of some jasper and maybe some chert in the low country.