Author Topic: fletching dye help  (Read 7823 times)

Offline AJMag

fletching dye help
« on: July 12, 2012, 11:32:50 pm »
I bought a large quantity of true flight full length white feathers with the intentions of dying a third of them. I bought some of the clothing dye from wally world but haven't figured out the right setup for the results I want.  I've read that some diluted with alcohol, some with water, etc. I've tried each of these, some heating of solutions, long soaks (24 hours) and not getting a good change in color. Mainly trying with the brown at the moment and the white still shows.  Is there a certain ratio in the solution to use? Is there something on the true flight feathers that I need to wash off first to allow the dye to soak? Any ideas, fellas?

Offline lostarrow

Re: fletching dye help
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 11:44:32 pm »
Only dyed Fletch for my daughter's arrows . Used beet juice from pickled beets. Had to run the Fletch through hot water from the tap (not boiling) for a few seconds, before it would work.  After the hot water , it soaked the dye up in seconds . Removed them and let dry on paper towel  standing up over night. Rinsed the next morning , and Voila, pink feathers. Might work with the fabric dye as well. Before the hot water, the ends of the fibres were "sealed " shut and wouldn't allow the dye to travel in towards the quill.After the hot water you could watch the colour travel by capillary action in seconds to the full depth. Good luck.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 11:51:35 pm »
Hot water and a little bit of dish detergent to open them up a little.  Lay then on paper towels over top of several layers of newspaper to dry.

YOu can also use food coloring and Kool-aid.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline AJMag

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 12:06:58 am »
I thought about the kool aid a bit, but at the moment I'm just wanting more natural coolers. I imagine I'll one day end up with some brighter urges.

What do they put on those feathers to make them so stiff, uniform and resistant to water?

And thanks for the replys, especially you JW, I've gotten some good help from you lately.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 12:11:58 am »
The webbing of the primary feathers is naturally stiff.  The birds have an oil gland on the base of their tail where it meets their back that excretes an oil that they preen thru the feathers to make them waterproof. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline agd68

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 02:03:19 pm »
DYEING FEATHERS
AND
WOODEN ARROW SHAFTS

Taken from a tutorial by Herb Hanes @ Tradgang.com

I WAS A PROFESSIONAL FLY TYER FOR A FEW YEARS AND LEARNED HOW TO DYE FEATHERS AND HAIR FOR MY BUSINESS . WHICH HAS HELPED ME IN MY ENJOYMENT OF MY FAVORITE SPORT ARCHERY .

A FEW THING YOU WILL NEED TO DYE YOUR OWN FEATHERS .

A CONTAINER OF GLASS OR ENAMEL TO HEAT THE DYE BATH IN .

FEATHERS , FULL LENGTH OR PRE CUT

LIQUID DETERGENT , STIR STICK , DYE AND WHITE ARTIFICAL VINEGAR AND A PAIL TO DROP THE DYED FEATHERS IN .

DYE CAN BE DYE FOR FLYTYING , RIT DYE FROM NEIGHBORHOOD STORE , OR IN MY CASE I HAVE SOME FROM A WOOLEN MILL ALL WILL WORK .

PROCESS :
I WOULD SUGGEST YOU DO THIS OUTDOORS UNTIL YOU GET IT FIGURED AS THE LADIES IN YOUR HOUSE HOLD GET UPSET WITH DYE ON FLOOR WALLS AND CEILING . BELIEVE ME IT CAN HAPPEN .AFTER SAYING THIS , I DYE IN THE KITCHEN .

TAKE THE FEATHERS YOU ARE GOING TO DYE AND PUT IN SINK OR CONTAINER , PAIL ECT . COVER WITH WARM WATER AND GRAB A BOTTLE OF DISH DETERGENT ( I LIKE DAWN ) AND GIVE IT A BIG SHOT . SWISH THE FEATHERS AROUND SO THEY GET WET . THE SOAP IS A WETTING AGENT SO WHEN THE FEATHERS GO INTO THE DYE BATH THEY WILL ABSORB THE DYE . IF NOT THE DYE DOESN’T ABSORB AS THE FEATHERS HAVE SOME OIL IN THEM .

PUT THE DYE BATH CONTAINER ON YOU HEATING SOURSE , I WILL PUT A LITER OR 2 OF WATER IN THE CONTAINER . A COUPLE OF INCHES IS MORE THAN ENOUGH , TURN ON HEAT AND PUT ENOUGH DYE IN THE WATER TO GET A COLOR A BIT DARKER THAN WHAT YOU ARE AFTER . I PUT A ¼ TPS BY USING THE HANDLE OF A TEASPOON TO DIP THE DYE STIR IN THE DYE UNTIL IT DISSAPEARS , YOU DON’T WANT UN DISSOLVED DYE AS IT WILL RUIN THE FEATHERS . ¼ TPS IS USUALL Y LOTS TO DYE SEVERAL DOZ. FEATHERS .

BRING THE DYE BATH TO A BOIL AND THEN POUR IN ½ TO ¾ CUP ARTIFICAL WHITE VINEGAR . THE VINEGAR IS WHAT WILL SET THE DYE SO IT WON’T RUN OR WASH OUT .
THE DYE WILL COOL WHEN YOU PUT THE VINEGAR IN AND THIS IS GREAT AS YOU DON’T WANT TO BOIL YOUR FEATHERS . GO TO THE CONTAINER WHERE YOUR FEATHERS ARE TAKE THEM IN YOUR HAND DON’T RINSE JUST A SHAKE AND DROP IN THE DYE SUDDS AND ALL . GRAB YOUR STIR STICK AND GENTLY STIR AND MOVE AROUND SO THE DYE WILL GET TO ALL THE FEATHERS . IT WILL ONLY TAKE A FEW MINUTES TO DYE THE FEATHERS . 2 OR 3 DEPENDING ON CONCENTRATION OF DYE , WHEN YOU HAVE THE COLOR YOU WANT LET IT GET A BIT DARKER AS IT WILL LIGHTEN AS IT DRIES . WHEN YOU HAVE THEM THE COLOR YOU WANT I USE A ST OF TONGS TO TAKE THE FROMM THE DYE BATH . HAVE A PAIL OF COLD WATER OR A SINK HANDY AND DROP THE FEATHERS IN COLD WATER AND RINCE WELL TO GET OFF ANY EXCESS DYE . TAKE OUT OF WATER DRIP DRY AND PLACE ON PAPER TOWELS FOR THEM TO DRY . CLEAN UP YOUR MESS AND ENJOY YOUR NEW COLORS .
A COUPLE OF TIPS IF YOU WANT BLACK YOU HAVE TO DYE TWICE . ALL BLACK DYES ARE EITHER BLUE OR PURPLE BASED SO YOU WILL END UP ,IF YOU DYE WHITE FEATHERS , WITH BLUE OR PURPLE . I DYE BROWN , BLUE OR RED FIRST THEN DYE BLACK AND YOU WILL GET BLACK .
IF YOU WANT HOT ORANGE , DYE THE FEATHERS ORANGE FIRST THEN JUST DROP IN RED DYE FOR A FEW SECONDS , NOT GREAT IF YOU WANT TO CHECK FOR BLOOD ON FLETCH AS THEY LOOK LIKE THEY HAVE BEEN THOUGH AN ANIMAL .

DYEING WOOD SHAFTS

I USED TO USE THE SAME DYE ON MY SHAFTS THAT I USED TO DYE FEATHERS JUST MIX THE DYE AND NOT USE THE VINEGAR , THREE OR FOUR COATS WIPED ON WITH A CLOTH .
A LADY IN ALBERTA TOLD ME ABOUT A NEW DYE AND IT IS THE BEST AND EASIEST I HAVE EVER USED . IT IS THE DYE THAT IS USED TO COLOR ICING CALLED ICING GEL .COMES IN A 1 OZ. CONTAINER . I TAKE A TEASPOOON AND PUT IN A PLASTIC CUP OR ANY CONTAINER , ADD ½ TPS WATER AND STIR UNTILL IT GETS REALLY MIXED UP TAKE A SPONGE BRUSH AND APPLY TO SHAFT ONE OR TWO COATS AS DARK AS YOU WANT WASHES UP WITH WATER . CAN PICK YOUR TEETH WITH THE BROKEN ARROW IF YOU DON’T MIND VARNISH . LET THEM DRY FOR A DAY AND PUT YOUR FAVOURITE FINISH ON .
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline AJMag

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 06:23:55 pm »
Thanks. That worked perfect. But it also helped for someone to look over my shoulder at what I was doing then slap the crud out of me for trying to dye feathers with fabric paint. I guess I jumped the gun on what I bought and even though it didn't say"RIT" I figured it was dye and would work. That's what I get for not reading the fine print. In my defense though, I had no clue what rit dye was or where to find it.

Offline agd68

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 08:33:36 am »
Glad it helped.
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh