Author Topic: Not sure if I have the correct sinew to apply to back of bow--please help.  (Read 4851 times)

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
      I agree that ReconBowyer is holding back sinew in the photo. My guess is that he was confused by pictures or descriptions relating to the use of leg sinew.  I also agree that back sinew or leg sinew, either one, can be used to back a bow. I have a good friend in Kansas that backs all of his bows with back sinew. Back sinew is defiantly easier to prepare. It doesn’t have to be pounded; just pull it apart. I prefer the leg sinews. They do require a lot of prep, but I like the way they soak up the glue. I also think they lay down much more uniformly. Then I use the outside part, once stripped from the core, to make my glue.  I have heard of people using the back sinew without pulling it apart. I do not personally know anyone who has done this; I’ve just heard that it is done. Have any of you done this with any measure of success? I don’t intend to do it myself; just curious. All of my back sinew is saved for strings and for sewing.
                                                                                                                           CC

Offline Cloudfeather

If anyone is looking for a good source for back or leg sinew at a good price. Check out nativewayonline. They have good prices and their shipping was pretty fast.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 09:37:58 pm by Pat B »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
My most recent bow(last winter) is a 53" sinew backed osage bow with 2 courses of deer back strap sinew. I prefer it over leg sinew because it is easier to lay down evenly and gives a nice relatively smooth surface.
  I just roll the sinew strip back and forth in my hands to break it up then pull it apart into fibers. I think I use 6 back strap sinews total for the bow. This bow is pretty small at only about 1" wide at the handle and 53" long. Pulls 56#@26" during the dry season.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline tom sawyer

I personally like leg tendon sinew better.  I can't get the backstrap sinew to be as soft as the leg tendon stuff.  Its more wiry.  I'm probably just not working it enough.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
I'm with you Tom.  This is in part what I was driving at when this first popped up.  I have never backed a bow with back sinew.  I know people who do.  There is really in my opinion, one good use for leg sinew, backing bows.  You can make strings but they're weaker than back sinew strings.  Tough to sew with it.  For wrapping feathers, I'd rather pull a few strands of back sinew.  For me, leg sinew is suited for backing bows.  Kinda took an informal pole on this topic among people I know, and it seems to me to be a 50/50 split.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.