Author Topic: Bevan's Visit  (Read 2871 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Bevan's Visit
« on: July 27, 2012, 09:39:12 pm »
A stranger rolled into town about high noon today.  The rock breaking commenced almost immediately.  We pulled my tarp out, the old debitage in a pile, and started on a new batch.

First thing that became apparent is that Bevan is comfortable working slabs and I'm comfortable working spalls.  I tried slabs and broke them effortlessly.  Bevan tried spalls and broke them effortlessly.  He's faster than I am, 2:1...says he's got nervous energy built up from his class.  So far he's done 6 pretty points.  My 3 are on the left.

There's a fair bit of blood on the tarp in front of my chair on the right.  Bevan bled some but kept his off the ground.  We're resting after the dinner Mary cooked.  Bout to go hit it again...pun intended.  Bevan says I'm gonna hit, he's gonna push his flakes off. :)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: Bevan's Visit
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 12:20:20 am »
Looks like fun Fellas!  Ain't heard hide nor hair of Bevan for a bit.  Glad to see all is well.  dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 12:56:29 am »
Boy, things went downhill for me after I finished a point from real tough rock.  Broke 3 in a row...2 when they were almost done. :'(  I finally got one more from a spall that turns from flint into coretex going from base to tip.  Bevan knocked out 2 more beauties, including a nice obsidian blade.  He teased that I didn't cut the watermelon we had for dessert...I broke it, like I was doing to everything else. ::)  Sadly, he might be right.  Here are the new points:

George
St Paul, TX

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 09:21:29 am »
Generally it all looks good George :). Looks like you and Bevan are having a good time over there. Been outa town last coupla days. Got home and found it'd rained an inch, maybe i aughta leave more often ::).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Tower

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 05:35:50 pm »
Looks like you fellas had a grand old time! Isn't it great when we can get together & knap. Maybe there needs to be a P A knap-in! Or is there already?
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 05:58:57 pm »
I agree, every time I sit and break rock with somebody it's a wonderful time.

Bevan and I went out to my hog lease and put out a new feeder and trail cams, picked up trail cam SD cards and cut an old dead tree out of the way at my tree stand setup.  When that tree hit the ground Bevan let out a yell as a copperhead slithered out.  He quick cut me a stick and I ran over and acquired it for a bow.  Beauty...

It was HOT!!  Bevan was a good sport to work in that heat.   Should get back to the rock this afternoon after I get the snake drying.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Tower

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 07:35:45 pm »
Perfect size for a hat band.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline chertle

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 12:34:24 am »
George :) ;) :) ;)Love it!!Wish I lived closer ;) I was totally into your post and couldn't get enough about you and Bevan's knap-in......then you moved on to snakes :'( I don't do those......especially the deadly ones >:D I am so glad you had fun!! It looks like you guys were beating the heck out of the rock.  What are the green points?
Leslie
Indiana

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 01:33:50 am »
Leslie, the green ones are fiber optic glass.  Bevan said they were ridiculously easy to work and I promptly broke mine. :-[  Bevan got a blister last night so we took the night off from the rock.  I skinned the copperhead, but the highlight of the evening was dinner at the Chinese buffet.  Bevan gave the most unique tip I've seen in a long time.  The waitresses were poised to pounce on them as soon as we stood up.

We had a great time.  Won't get after the rock tomorrow until after lunch.  It was hot today, 105 this afternoon. Forecast the same for tomorrow.

George
St Paul, TX

Stringman

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 11:38:42 am »
Looks like fun. Always neat to meet another member of the family! Bevan's a great guy, glad you 2 could get together and make points.

Scott

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 03:46:49 pm »
Wow?!?!  Bevan actually agreed to go out for CHINESE?!?!  (inside joke, he lives for Oriental quisine.  You wanna get on his good side take him to a Mongolian Barbecue)

I figgered the two of you would be making plenty of gravel!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 07:42:37 pm »
Yea, he was easy to convince to go out for Chinese.   :)

Bevan widened the score today, creating 5 more points to my 3.  It was tiring, knapping in the heat outside.  We didn't last too long.  I got a chuckle out of the weather web page, it's 105 actual degrees, feels like 103???  Not sure how that works.    Here are Bevans points, the 5 at the lower right are his points from today.

And last, and least, my 3 points are the ones on the bottom.

It's been great fun.  We're waiting now for no-bake cookies to set up.  Better go check...they might be ready. ;)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 10:16:51 pm »
Awesome! 8)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline chertle

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 11:49:52 pm »
Looks like a lot of fun!!!  Love all the points.  What is the peachy color stone?  Is it just the lighting from the camera?  The tip at the restaurant was pretty cool!!!
Leslie
Indiana

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 12:02:17 am »
Bevan says that was rose quartz. He had lots of cool slabbed rock, I think I'll go take a picture of his debitage...very colorful. The only color in mine is where I bled all over it. ::)

George
St Paul, TX