Author Topic: Juniper wood.  (Read 1465 times)

Offline hugocam

Juniper wood.
« on: July 31, 2012, 12:43:37 am »
being here on Cal west coast there just isnt the type of wood abundant enough for me to go out and cut it down. I am looking for Juniper I have plenty of Bay wood I can work with but I really want to make short sinewed bows. This my first time posting just thought I would give it a try.

Offline PaleoNinja

Re: Juniper wood.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 01:44:47 am »
Where do you live Homeslice?   Sounds like you live in northern California? At first it feels like there's nothing but Bay and Redwood but you learn to find the good stuff man.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 02:19:45 am »
Northern California is bow wood heaven. I can get Ash, Three kinds if oak, plum, juniper, locust, yew, a bunch of maple including Vine Maple, Ocean Spray,Eucalyptus, Redbud, Cascara, hazle and dogwood within an hours drive, not to mention all the ornamentals from landscaping pruning.

Check local tree services, and landscapers. Better yet get out on all that Forest Service land we got and find some of your own. Good luck!

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 04:24:49 am »
Hugocam,  Finding collectable wood can be a problem, at least if you're living in an urban area.  Some parts of the state are heavily forested so finding wood should be no problem... if you're willing to do some research and drive.  At least one of the people posting here likes Incense cedar for sinewed bows.    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers