Author Topic: New atlatl set  (Read 13448 times)

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Re: New atlatl set
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 06:36:35 pm »
so who is the atatl master of PA? I would like to talk to him ;)
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2013, 06:43:50 pm »
I don't think anyone is going to own up to that title....  it would have to be a nomination by group of peers I imagine
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2013, 07:25:39 pm »
Ok then. got some questions for anyone who will anwser them.

how long should darts be?
how heavy points?
How large in diam?

i can figure out everything else through Utube and websites :)
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2013, 10:53:45 am »
Well, that may depend a lot on the person throwing.  My darts are cane with hardwood foreshafts, about 6'6" long. the nock end is roughly the same size as an arrow shaft, the thickest part is roughly a half inch. I taper down from the last node and through the foreshaft until the point area is about 3/8 of an inch.  I have 125grain field points glued on mine to practice with. my hunting points will likely be in the 125-160 grain range.  I throw it just about as hard as I can so mine are pretty stiff spined.  Just like arrow shafts they have a weak side so to find this I put the point end of the shaft on the floor and nock end towards the ceiling. Then I put the thrower onto the nock and apply pressure downwards until the shaft flexes.... this will show you the weak spined side of the shaft.. I put the "cock" feather on the weak side and orient it up when throwing. You want the weak side in the same place everytime to get consistent throw and want it  facing up so the shaft is flexing naturally when you throw..this keeps the shaft from wanting to roll when thrown.  some folks can throw shorter darts... but i really struggle with the short ones
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2013, 01:06:22 pm »
thanks a ton. I found a way to easily make heavy points for the darts... field point style- 1/4 or 3/16 steel rod, cut a 6" piece put it in a drill and grind the tip into a bullet-shape on a bench grinder.

Offline dmanwarren

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2013, 12:28:17 am »
Nice looking set twistedlimbs! It's addictive isn't it. So far I'm feeling pretty good in the 8 to 10 yard range as far as trying to connect on an animal. Dave