Author Topic: My bow project  (Read 3304 times)

Offline poppamies907

My bow project
« on: August 04, 2012, 06:02:24 pm »
Good evening bowyers!

My name is Jake, i'm Finnish senior high school student and got bitten by a bow bug. So im starting to build my first bow, and im thinking to laminate a about 45#@28" recurve bow.

Yes, i know what you are thinking, "laminating is not good for first one", and thats what i was first concerned about. Then i understood the fact that i think i have the reguired skills and tools to make one. I have been making knifes for 5-6 years now, and i have an access to a furnituremakers workshop, so i have all the tools i need.

So, i have been looking from the web for quite while now, and i have few questions, i think they will be stupid and basic, but i still need to ask.

What wood should i use? i have heard that ashwood, cherrywood, maple etc. are good for bowmaking, am i right?

Should i laminate a carbonfiber core to it?

How thick the laminates should be?

How long the bow should be? I'm only 162cm long (yeah, i look like a midget)

How many "laminates" should i use?

Here's few questions, i might ask more later, Thank you!

Offline tom sawyer

Re: My bow project
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 07:10:39 pm »
What wood should i use? i have heard that ashwood, cherrywood, maple etc. are good for bowmaking, am i right?
Yes those are all OK, cherry is kind of brittle.  Elm is also good if you can get that.

Should i laminate a carbonfiber core to it?
No.  Of course you're asking someone on a primitive archery site!

How thick the laminates should be?
Backing, 2-3mm.  Center and belly lams can be 5mm or more.  In fact you can use a single piece of wood for the belly.

How long the bow should be? I'm only 162cm long (yeah, i look like a midget)
Make the bow as tall as you are, and make enough working limb on each limb to equal your draw length.

How many "laminates" should i use?
At least two, but as many as you want as long as you are getting good glue lines.

Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline poppamies907

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 07:22:04 pm »
What would be the "ultimate" wood, or wood combination? I know, a hard AND stupid question, but i want to get it right at the first try

Hah and yeah, the carbon fiber thing, i just had to ask. I like traditional things, that's why i'm asking the question here, because everywhere else people say "laminate piece of maple between pieces of fiberglass"

So, would it be bad think to use more than three laminates? I have heard that ill lost pounds by making it from too many pieces.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 01:55:08 pm »
There's no sense in using more than three lams. Sure, you could. But to what effect? What would be the benefit of using more than three lams?

I would advise you to start with two lams. One backing of roughly 3 to 5 mm. thick and one core of roughly 15 to 17 mm thick, tapering to ten mm. near the tips (this makes for easier bending so the bow will hold its shape better after glueing).
What woods can you get, in Finland? I can imagine not many... But here's a list of good bowwoods - tell us what you can get easily and we might be able to sort out a nice combination. Ash, elm, maple, hickory, white oak, bamboo, ipé, jatoba and the list goes on and on.... Walnut and cherry are not premium bowwoods, but can certainly make a fine bow.  Don't ask what woods will make the best bow, that is a futile discussion. Instead, tell us the woods you have access to.

Avoid f!b€®gl@$$ and carbon like the plague, please.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Tortoise

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 02:58:24 pm »
Could you list some woods that are/grow in your area? I know finland is taiga so there are lots of pines, but I'm sure there could be some species of yew or something up there.
-Peter
Arizona

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 03:10:05 pm »
To heck with the lams go for a self bow bro! It's the best route to take <):^D
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline scp

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 03:45:54 pm »
I usually make selfbows out of oak staves. But recently I have tried to back my bows with bamboo. Then I went on to put siyahs on them. Hence, I would recommend making a wood/bamboo backed bow first. That way, you would learn how to tiller properly while making a "laminated" bow you seem to be fixated on.