Author Topic: Anyone want a dogwood arrow build-along?  (Read 66444 times)

Offline iowabow

Re: Anyone want a dogwood arrow build-along?
« Reply #150 on: August 28, 2012, 01:13:54 pm »
sure am
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #151 on: August 28, 2012, 08:23:50 pm »
excellent build-along, i will be coming back to look at this one later tons of good info here. thanks for taking the time to teach us old farts something new
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline iowabow

« Reply #152 on: August 29, 2012, 10:11:17 am »
As you folks know I like to study the how, why, and the unknown of a topic. Sometimes in more detail that others want to know. I am currently working on three projects the paint, milkweed bow string and native pottery experiments. The paint project for arrow may prove to be the most complicated of all three. Many combinations are possible from acid to base from stain to minerial ,water to oil and so on. Many issues also relate to health concerns which are areas that we need to be careful.
There are processes that seem gross like blood, eyeball and boiled fats solution that some might find off pulling but have been lost with time. With just the small list above and their possible combination the task seems large. The addition of heat and how much and when adds addition variables  . Not all things done in the past do we have record of so this is going to be an investigation of possibility.
Thanks for all the ideas and please keep adding to this post about what you have heard about paint. I will try to include as many ideas as possible.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #153 on: August 29, 2012, 10:28:26 am »
A well made arrow is good for your soul.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #154 on: August 29, 2012, 11:13:28 am »
The subject of paints is something I've studied too.  One of the best places to learn about "primitive" paints is Mexico.  Many Native Americans there still use the old formulas for painting pottery, dying plant fibers, etc.

The ancient Egyptians and Greeks mastered the art of making paints early on.  There is a wealth of information on paints from these cultures if you look carefully.

Here's one of the best web sites I know for obtaining "primitive" paint ingredients and information:

---http://www.naturalpigments.com/
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline iowabow

« Reply #155 on: August 29, 2012, 11:31:44 am »
Thanks Patrick. Just talked with a physics teacher here on campus he is going to help with setting up the math part of the experiment. With so many combinations looks like the materials will need to be limited. Thinking of making this an Iowa midwest based study. The California based book is on its way and that should be helpful. There are a few other issues like the seasonal timing of plants so it might take over a year to have things running on this one. I want to document the havesting and mining so that others can repeat this in the future. I am hunting down a minerial book that helps you identify them based on heat colors. I think it is important to identify a few safe colors to work with.

Offline anasazi

« Reply #156 on: August 29, 2012, 11:44:52 am »
What diameter did those arrows turn out to be?

Offline iowabow

« Reply #157 on: August 29, 2012, 03:36:32 pm »
They start at about ll/32 near the tip and taper to 5/16 near the nock.  I think this is correct but I will check when I get home.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #158 on: August 29, 2012, 06:25:01 pm »
Just when you thought this post was done. Feathers...just learned something cool on my feathers for the second arrow and I thought you might find it cooool. Maybe the guys that have done this before know but it is coooool. Anyway the bend in a feather can be an issue when fletching so this is why a Japanese man I saw in a youtube video burns the bottom of the feather. It is not in English so I thought he was just leveling the feather but in fact it makes it straight as well. The feather on the left was not burnt and the one on the right was burnt.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 06:28:57 pm by iowabow »

Offline Huntinfool

« Reply #159 on: August 29, 2012, 06:30:17 pm »
Yelp that's coool alright been puttin' feathers on arrows for close to 40 years off and on and never heard of that.

~HF~

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #160 on: August 29, 2012, 06:31:46 pm »
Very cool! 8)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Huntinfool

« Reply #161 on: August 29, 2012, 07:52:20 pm »
Wonder if you lightly sand the scorched part off if it would stay straight?

~HF~

Offline iowabow

« Reply #162 on: August 29, 2012, 08:23:14 pm »
Well I think we should try it on the next one.

Offline boughnut

« Reply #163 on: August 30, 2012, 12:47:57 pm »
very inspiring I have been looking every where I can for some dog wood shoots since I first saw this post.  Your arrows are just plain awsome and an excellent build along to boot.  I am teaching my self and my wife how to make primitive arrows from shoots right now.  I was thinking of using some blood wood saw dust and osage saw dust for die, does this work well? 

Offline iowabow

« Reply #164 on: August 30, 2012, 01:19:33 pm »
Wonder if you lightly sand the scorched part off if it would stay straight?

~HF~
when I sanded the feather it curved again. So I guess that sanding should be done before the heat treatment.