Author Topic: Anyone want a dogwood arrow build-along?  (Read 66613 times)

Offline iowabow

Re: Anyone want a dogwod arrow build-along?
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2012, 10:51:09 am »
My dye is looking great this morning. So now it is time to cut the shaft. The wt of the uncut shaft was 702 grains so it gained some wt. I thought this did not seem right. So as i cut down the shaft I put the meter to the wood and it read 11%. That is low but not the 9% I thought I would see. I think the outside dried down below 9% in the sun and then picked back up the difference during the humid weather we have had the last couple of days. I continued to spine the arrow to the same measurment as my good arrow that I like so well. I will lightly sand them and the stain with the staghorn dye. The new shaft wt unstained is 562 grains.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Stringman

« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2012, 11:11:22 am »
John, when u and I were talking yesterday you mentioned something havin a "mordant" quality. Can you elavorate on this a touch?

Offline iowabow

« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2012, 11:27:15 am »
John, when u and I were talking yesterday you mentioned something havin a "mordant" quality. Can you elavorate on this a touch?
A mordant helps to fix or bite the dye to the fiber or cell. Native americans used staghorn as a mordant  to fix bloodroot dye to leather. I am hoping this will work with the dye I made yesterday. We will know in about 3 weeks.
My arrow is not as cured as I hoped but I am going forward with the dye to see if it works early in the process. 

Offline iowabow

« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2012, 11:37:46 am »
Here is the first coat

Offline iowabow

« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2012, 11:40:54 am »
What we are shootin for is the color on the left test stick.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2012, 11:46:44 am »
I am going to scrape the bands to get white and make black from an egg yoke and charcoal to make lines around the bands. Thinking about tung oil "natural" as a sealer. Although I was reading about a sap from a sumac tree that can dry oils. Maybe a project for next year.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2012, 11:52:27 am »
Scott here is the blackberry only arrow that was deep purple only a few weeks ago. I knew from last year that the color would change but wow it really is a big difference. I think that the color in the sumac should bite and hold on better. By the way is the poke berry you used changing?

Offline iowabow

« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2012, 12:14:20 pm »
I want to backtrack here for a minute and talk about the dye in the pan. I split it so I would destroy all of it but that which I first cooked down was still giving good color so I boiled all of it down an inch from the bottom. I had started with a full pan that you saw in the photo.

Also I did not talk about working the arrow shaft with primitive tools.  The nock is a self nock but it is standard in most ways as you have see made on this site. I could have used a flint tool to make the nock but I used a  metal file.  It takes about 10 minutes longer to do it with flint. When thinning the shaft a flint tool works just as well as a modern metal blade.  I have done it both ways but in this post I wanted to focus on the dogwood and dye aspect.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 07:11:52 pm by iowabow »

Offline iowabow

« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2012, 12:24:50 pm »
I have four arrows to make so maybe I will work one with flint.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2012, 12:30:22 pm »
So here is the tool I have used a lot on shafts.

Offline ratshooter

« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2012, 12:42:30 pm »
I have to say those are some pretty dang straight arrows looking goos so far!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2012, 12:51:35 pm »
Here is some real time data this is done and maches the other shafts all done with flint.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2012, 01:53:24 pm »
Thank you ratshooter!
Here is what this dye/stain looks like after a few coats. I kinda like them but time will tell if it will hold up.

Offline AJMag

« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2012, 05:45:50 pm »
I actually really like that light cherry red color in the comparison pic higher up there after the first coat. The darker red wouldn't be bad either but it looks a little rough, not as smooth of an appearance of the lighter one. Is there a reason behind that?

You kind of lost me with the talk about the notch, then jumping to the file to remove bark. What did I miss there? Were you referring to the a notch in the tool to remove bark, or a notch made in the wood? I haven't really watched any other shoot arrow builds yet so I'm slightly ignorant in what you referred to as having seen made elsewhere on this site.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2012, 07:03:40 pm »
sorry my mistake nock is what I mean not notch. I will go back and fix it in the post