Author Topic: Anyone want a dogwood arrow build-along?  (Read 66735 times)

Offline iowabow

Re: Anyone want a dogwood arrow build-along?
« Reply #90 on: August 17, 2012, 07:11:59 pm »
Interesting note on the black paint made from pine is a dull where as the tempera black is shiny.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #91 on: August 17, 2012, 07:18:27 pm »
Forgot to say where yellow came from. Big soft yellow rock from the creek.

Stringman

« Reply #92 on: August 17, 2012, 07:48:26 pm »
I wonder if bears are attracted to egg/berry covered popcicles??  ::) You are definitely not bunkin with me in Colorado next year!  :o ;D

Scott

Offline iowabow

« Reply #93 on: August 17, 2012, 08:44:25 pm »
I thought you were getting a bear tag?  They are lolli pops bear spears.

Offline Adam

« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2012, 11:17:11 pm »
Thanks very much for taking the time to document all your findings. I've really enjoyed this thread.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #95 on: August 18, 2012, 05:55:39 pm »
Thanks very much for taking the time to document all your findings. I've really enjoyed this thread.
Your welcome! Today I worked the last shaft up and carved nocks on 2 arrows. I started a fire an dropped a couple shells in to test for paint properties and for the native pottery project.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #96 on: August 18, 2012, 07:16:06 pm »
Sometimes things look good and I am happy that I was able to produce a white powder. I think it is chalk have not googled it yet. If you look ar the point if the knife you will see white flakes. These white flakes were collected and worked to powder. This was very easy. I may also have black chalk. Will make paint tonight.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: August 19, 2012, 01:13:04 am »
John, this is a very interesting and informative thread. Thanks for gathering and presenting this so we all can learn.   Have you considered an article for PA Magazine? I'm sure Ed Ingold would love to publish an article on this subject.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline iowabow

« Reply #98 on: August 19, 2012, 01:23:12 am »
OK here is the deal with white. Looks like I am making white wash so here is what I am going to try;
1. The calcium carbonate was cooked to calcium oxide
2. When adding water I will have calcium hydroxide that will sit over night to slake becoming quick lime mix
3. I am not adding salt or hide glue rather the egg will be used as the binder.
4. The new material should become calcium carbonate when exposed to co2.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #99 on: August 19, 2012, 01:38:42 am »
This very powerful CAREFUL!!!!!!!!! Look at the pH of this stuff. This will burn you.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #100 on: August 19, 2012, 01:47:56 am »
I forgot to add that the table spoon of water that I added was hot.

Hey Pat maybe when I get all the testing done and hunt for awhile I write something up. I keep getting more and more ideas hard to know where to focus.

Well if the egg binder does not work I do have some hide glue from a deer skin I can use.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #101 on: August 19, 2012, 01:55:33 am »
Another observation about the shaft that was worked with the flint. This was the shaft that was painted with the red iron. Anyway it has grooves running up and down as a result of the flint edge chipping. Beadman was going to groove an arrow because he read that it helped to keep it straight. I think these grooves were naturally made due to the wear of the tool. This does not mean it was not beneficial in some way.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #102 on: August 19, 2012, 11:18:35 am »
Here what the white is starting to look like. It will get better with time. Longer it sees co2 the more white it will become.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #103 on: August 19, 2012, 12:12:44 pm »
John, with the information you are coming up with you could write a series of articles culminatine with an article about successful hunt using the arrows you are making.
  Send James Parker(Robustus) a PM about carriers for pigment paints. He has been using them to decorate the Asiatic horn bows he has been building for the last few years. I know one of the carriers is the juice from prickley pear cactus. He contacted me to ask if I knew where he could get some prickley pear. I told him to try his local grocery store in the Hispanic food section.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline iowabow

« Reply #104 on: August 19, 2012, 03:39:39 pm »
John, with the information you are coming up with you could write a series of articles culminatine with an article about successful hunt using the arrows you are making.
  Send James Parker(Robustus) a PM about carriers for pigment paints. He has been using them to decorate the Asiatic horn bows he has been building for the last few years. I know one of the carriers is the juice from prickley pear cactus. He contacted me to ask if I knew where he could get some prickley pear. I told him to try his local grocery store in the Hispanic food section.  ;)
Ok I will do it. And I will give jame a PM.