Author Topic: Endless or splice?  (Read 2127 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Endless or splice?
« on: August 14, 2012, 05:20:31 pm »
I would like to know what some experienced (both ways) folks think about each type of string. This is based on a hunting bow. Consider all things. Time to make, cost, usage, noise, size, adjustability and so on. I have never used and endless loop and wondered if Im missing the boat by twisting away. Thanks
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Slackbunny

Re: Endless or splice?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 05:52:25 pm »
I use flemish twist strings and I have no complaints. But I'm like you and I have never used an endless string. I look forward to hearing what others have to say.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 07:08:41 pm »
A Flemish twist string is more durable and quieter but a bit slower than an endless string. I prefer a Flemish twist string for the first two reasons and because it is more traditional.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 09:38:37 pm »
Well I guess thats that then. Quiet and durable are what I was interesed in mostly. Im always looking for a new mouse trap and havent played with strings at all. Just keep twisting the same way I always have. It would probably shock me if I knew how many strings I have made for me and others over the 14 years I have known how.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 01:46:47 am »
...and me over 25 to 30 years.  ::)  Making strings is easy. You can do it with your eyes closed once you learn how...and it ain't that hard. I'm surprised a string maker can make a living.  :o
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 06:52:54 am »
Best thing about a Flemish string is it can be done with no jig. I don't know how you'd make an endless loop string without a jig. Too much serving required on the endless too.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline cracker

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 01:14:09 pm »
I like the flemish here lately I've been leaning toward the three ply ones. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?