Author Topic: Small Hunter Bow  (Read 6208 times)

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: Small Hunter Bow
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2012, 02:06:29 am »
It is always important that you are learning something! keep up the good work! i dont mean to put your work down its very impressive, but i think that you will be several more bows to go before you can make those bows work perfectly, without stack and the like.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2012, 04:21:00 am »
Thanks for the advice, and yeah, i will keep working for experience >:D. It will be cool when i can whip out bow after bow  ;D I don't really think i understand stack though. Is it mostly caused from string angle? Could i eliminate it from this bow by taking wood off so that all the stack was pushed until FARTHER than my draw? (Idk if that makes any sense.)
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2012, 06:15:23 am »
Nice looking bow,tiller looks good.Short bows tend to stack because of the string angle,only cure I know is flip the tips but then a bow that short you give up more working limb and ant sure you want to do that,lots of bend there for a short piece of wood. :) Keep up the good work. Some folks love short bow,I for one like them but don't shoot them very well so most of mine are in the 60's in length.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2012, 12:39:46 pm »
I am fairly certain that by recurving the tips it reduces string angle. if someone can verify this or correct this thats fine. The string angle is whats going on. A great resource if you are willing to pay for it is the Traditional Bowyers Bible. I talks about the mechanics and the string angle involved

Offline Zion

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2012, 02:28:41 pm »
Traditional Bowyer's Bible, huh? sounds like a good book  ;D Yeah, with my next bows i'm definitely going to add some inches. Maybe if i make another 50" bow i'll make it bend in the handle and flip the tips. with that i could definitely get more strain off the limbs. The crazy part is this bow is not complaining one bit... after all it was a near-perfect sapling. Now i want more perfect wood, and a little longer  >:D

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2012, 02:37:46 pm »
As a said, it may be fine, but the best bows are perfectly balanced between speed, weight, accuracy, comfort, and smooth even draw. Keep it up man!

Offline Weylin

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2012, 03:12:30 pm »
making it bend through the handle will take strain off by increasing working area but flipping the tips will add strain, not take it away.

Offline Zion

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2012, 04:21:44 pm »
thanks for all the help guys. I've got a nice apple stave right now so i might make a post on that if i make some progress  ;D
Good luck with all your guys projects.