Author Topic: tillering worries...  (Read 3576 times)

Offline Jodocus

tillering worries...
« on: August 22, 2012, 05:46:04 pm »
So this is the bow that I had already asked about the bent tips that had pulled out. Since none of my few bows have broken so far (I messed some up in the making but no breaks) I wanted to NOT overbuild this one.

After I got advice here on the boards, I bent the tips with steam. Since the 45 degrees from the first bend pulled out I bent about 90 this time, the toasted it and let it sit in the clamp over night.

I put it back on the tiller and of course, it is much stiffer now. I strung and unstrung it a couple of times, did some minor tillering. The tips hold just nicely. So thanks for the good advice!  :laugh:

But now I feel I get to the limits of this piece of wood. When I lay it on the belly and measure from tip to tip, it's  55", at the fades the lower limb is 2" wide, the upper 2.2". it weighs a tad over 17 ounces.It's maple (platanoides), and to my inexperienced eye it feels like good, solid wood, not very hard, but of good substance.

The draw in the pic is 18", it's 30# there.

So:
- can I even get 26" draw lenght from this?
- at what weight?
- should I tiller the curves or leave them alone?

Also, as you may notice, the bow is very assymetrical, the arrow pass is right in the centre. I always make the bottom limb shorter, but also, I always run into the same uncertainties because of that.

- should the lower limb bend with the same radius as the upper, or with a smaller radius?
- to what extent can I make this handle bend?

I'm sure gonna learn tons on this build...
Don't shoot!

Online Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: tillering worries...
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 06:12:40 pm »
That is looking really handsome.
I've no idea how far it will come back! Maybe you'll make 24".... 26" seems rather a lot, but backing it would probably be a good idea to give you some safety factor (rawhide?).
I will watch with interest as I'm going to start a Maple bow next, along the same lines as the Hazel I've just done.
Nice bending jig too.
Del
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 06:17:00 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 02:37:07 am »
thanks Del, I'm gonna see if I can get me something to back it. Never seen rawhide so far. The bendig jig has been inspired by twistedlimbs.

Good luck with the maple, it's a real pleasure to work with, cuts like butter. I'm sure you're gonna like it. I don't know how good it fares as bowwood, though.
Don't shoot!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 06:49:44 am »
Not sure on the 26 inch but it is looking good so far. I assume it is at full brace and that ant a long string. ??? The bend looks good,never made a maple bow so not sure how much it will take,but 26 seems a lot for 55 inch bow. With that type lay out I would say no on bending in the handle area. :)
Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Holten101

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 08:12:05 am »
Oh...lovely work...but do take care now. In my experience Acer platanoides (Norway Maple) does not handle compression well...not well at all. And with those curves and 55" I think you are past what is possible. Please, please keep us updated on this one...I could be wrong (I hope so) and this will be a chance to learn:-)

Cheers

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 11:03:40 am »
I'm gonna stick my neck out and say you are looking at a bow right now of 55 pounds at 28".It will take more set as you pull farther.You have 10 inches to go.All bending being equal of course.To stay away from too much set sinewing it is an option since you hav'nt pulled it that far yet.Sinew will do a heck of a job on those wide limbs.Retillering it a little down to 55 pounds will need to be done though.Nice job on the recurves.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 03:44:35 pm »
Thank you all for the advice. Pappy: yes, thats full brace. Beadman: would you stick your neck out under my tillering tree as well?  >:D A video of just my face while I pull this one back another 10"  :embarassed: would sure go well on youtube  ;D Seriously, I posted this because I felt a bit tense looking at these bends already. Since I haven't broken one yet, I have no idea how much it really takes
I had actually pulled it to 26" before the re-bending, with much less curve, but the new bends held up much better than I had expected. It hasn't really taken set yet, not even half an inch.
Holten: I'll keep oyu posted
Don't shoot!

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 06:02:50 pm »
i think with the stiff handle and those big 'curves that you've lost a lot of working limb, 22" draw should be in that bow as is, make a nice ambush bow, lookin' real good, halfeye is the short bow king, maybe you can pick his brain, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹