Author Topic: Osage staves  (Read 2514 times)

Offline TXHALE

Osage staves
« on: August 26, 2012, 06:09:42 pm »
Hey guys I know some a very reluctant to do business with a new guy but I've been cutting some staves to try my hand at building a bow and I'm going to have several staves left over and access to plenty more coming up. I'd love to trade for a bow I could hunt with this season.If anyone is interested Pm me. I'll try to post pics soon as I'm done cutting.
"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of 80 and gradually approach 18"-Mark Twain

Stringman

Re: Osage staves
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 04:17:26 pm »
Welcome, Tex! We're an easy, honest bunch a folks and like it square. Tells us whatcha got in mind (bow-wise) and maybe anything else ya got for trade. Lots members from your state, some might be close to ya. Happy huntin!!  ;)

Scott

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 09:32:06 pm »
Welcome. I'm only 30 minutes or so from you in Stephenville :laugh:

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 10:44:12 pm »
Nothing gets attention to a posting for wood for trade like some photos.

......HINT! HINT!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 10:50:44 pm »
Nothing gets attention to a posting for wood for trade like some photos.

......HINT! HINT!

JW.... WHAT?!?!  >:D
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline TXHALE

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 11:36:02 pm »
Thanks for the warm welcome ya'll. I'm hitting the woods again this week for a few more staves so soon as it's cut and split I'll post the pics of all of em. Hope I can find some ya'll can use. Criveralle I've done alot of running in the 'ville one day we'll have to meet up and swap lies.
"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of 80 and gradually approach 18"-Mark Twain

Offline seider

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 12:12:49 am »
welcome to PA i am not to far from you either in may..  Will be up in springtown this weekend for a inlaw family reunion.. Dang sure gonna have to slip out of there for awhile maybe go play on the river...
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of there country.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 01:44:37 am »
Be sure to process em correctly. Important things:

- Seal the ends as soon as you can after cutting,
- If you remove the bark seal the back,
- Most people recommend if you remove the bark, to remove the sapwood as well, (I remove the bark and seal the sapwood myself, but than again, most people also think I'm an idiot, so there ya go)
- If you don't remove the bark, make sure to spray for bugs, sometimes they can get in even after spraying,
- If you remove the bark at all, no matter what is under it, make sure you seal it. And I am talking about the back of the bow stave. So make sure you seal the both ends and the back. The sides and the belly should be left alone to dry out.
- I recommend splitting the staves out into as small of staves as you are going to, as soon as you cut it. The reasoning behind this is less wood = less chance of checking, which I have found to be true. The osage I cut tends not to warp when it seasons really as long as it is as large a piece as a stave. Although less wood = more a chance of warping. But not near enough of a chance of checking when the wood is large. (Also, warping is fixable, and checking isn't.)
- It is very important how you season your wood. Inside is best, the slower the better. No fans. No air conditioning, as air conditioning drys the air out dramatically, and that will cause a major loss of moisture from the stave FAST, and fast seasoning = checking which will ruin a stave. Too hot or too cold is bad too though, but drastic temperature changes only really happen when staves are kept outside or in a garage I would think.
- The main thing I hear people vote for sealing is shellac. And also poly. I use elmers glue for the back, and tb3 for the ends personally. 2 coats of elmers on the back, 3 coats of tb3 on the ends...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 01:27:48 am by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 01:40:09 pm »
(I remove the bark and seal the sapwood myself, but than again, most people also think I'm an idiot, so there ya go)

I wouldn't say you are an idiot, 2many.  A halfwit with bad decision making skills, but not an idiot!  EVERYONE knows you are supposed to remove the last two growthrings of sapwood next to the heartwood and leave the outer layers above it!   >:D

Kidding aside, TXHALE print out 2many's list of suggestions and have it laminated.  There are years of wisdom from hundreds of bowyers and thousands of ruined staves in that list of suggestions.  The three main take-aways are: 1) seal the ends, 2) bug spray saves staves, 3) If you take anything off the back of the stave then you need that sealed tightly, too.

You can always send me samples of your staves for testing and evaluation.  I will be sure to give you all the positive feedback I can, hehehehe.

Good luck with your 'sage harvest.  Don't turn your nose up at good hickory in the meanwhile.  In dry climates it is easily the equal of osage in the bowmaking department!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline TXHALE

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 04:13:22 pm »
Thanks for sharing all that guys I'll for sure take all the help I can get. I've done all you said before even reading your post so I got lucky but it's good to know I'm not as ocd about it as I thought!

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 12:14:05 am »
(I remove the bark and seal the sapwood myself, but than again, most people also think I'm an idiot, so there ya go)

A halfwit with bad decision making skills

I'm also very lazy,  ;). A couple things I forgot, are to always try to split down a knot if you have knots in the log. I guess this is really for any wood. As, obviously it will deter from ending up with a knot down the middle of any stave. And two, it is very likely for checking to occur, if it is going to, to happen at a knot. So this might also help deter from having a check running down the middle of a stave. And then there is the thing about cutting in the spring/summer verses cutting in the fall/winter, which I couldn't myself tell you which is best. I know the old timers preferred to cut in the winter I think. If someone else feels they got the answer, I will let them tell ya which is best...  because I honestly don't know.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 12:22:26 am by toomanyknots »

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 01:31:04 am »
EVERYONE knows you are supposed to remove the last two growthrings of sapwood next to the heartwood and leave the outer layers above it!   >:D

Just blew my mind for a couple minutes...  ;D