Author Topic: Dominate eye  (Read 2374 times)

Offline ron Mowry

Dominate eye
« on: July 29, 2012, 07:23:32 pm »
Went to grand mesa range today up the monument at Grand Junction Co.
discussed instinctive . My left is my eye but I shoot right . Any comments or suggesstions

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Dominate eye
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 09:22:52 pm »
I have heard that if you are shooting instinctive it doesn't matter. Your brain will work it out. If you use a style of shooting where you use your arrow as a reference it would probably matter. If you shoot well the way you shoot I wouldn't change anything. If you decide to learn to shoot lefty keep your right hand shooting up too. Never know when it might come in handy.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 09:23:31 pm »
ron,
    I'm right handed but left eye dominate.....but I'm also blind in the right eye.....seem to kill what I hunt with my bow. If you are talking about bow shooting, all you need is to let your on board computer do the alignment, and stay with in the "flatness" of your bow's trajectory. I do not have any problems out to roughly 30 yards....but choose not to shoot farther that 15/18 on live animals (just a personal decision)
rich

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 10:11:35 am »
I also am a right handed left eye dominant archer. I tried to teach myself to shoot left handed but it was just way to awkward. After a while i just quit worrying about it and just shoot where im looking. I think your brain just automaticaly adjusts for it.
Steve Bennett

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 11:39:23 am »
I'm in the same boat.  I made the switch to left handed, and it wasn't all that hard.  I shoot much better now than I ever did righty.  I'm a gap shooter though, so alignment is much easier now.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline AngelDeVille

• Internet Archer
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 01:17:32 pm »
My son shoots lefty and seems to do well, I'm left eye dominant too, but have learned to shoot righty. but miss targets equally as well with either draw.

We both are getting bows without rests, so we can experiment a little.
Sent via two tin cans connected by a string and a jailbroken Atari 2600

Offline danny f

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 04:15:12 pm »
im left handed, left eye dominant, i shoot a gun left handed but shoot a bow and slingshots right handed. i dont really aim as such, i just look at what i am trying to shoot and let rip, i tried shooting left handed but i didnt like it and didnt feel i was strong enough to draw the bow or slingshot. best thing to do is what ever feels comfortable, if it feels like you have to try you wont shoot to well.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 11:52:41 am »
  Your dominate eye only predicts if you should shoot right or left handed. If you shoot instinctive you have a dominate eye ofcorse but you shoot with both eyes open. Even though you shouldn't there are people that aim by the tip of the arrow or sight users close a eye it's a bow not a rifle.  Cosing a eye theres a short time that you can't see the animal. When shooting intuitive you should be contrating on where the animal is going for the shot and picking your spot when he reachs there and don't worrying about having to find the animal with one eye. Just a step that can be avoided. The simpler the shot process the easier it is.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Huntinfool

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 06:37:22 am »
I'm left eye dom and shoot right handed I do alright, I believe I just barely squint my left eye a tad.

I know I used to do that with a shotgun so I assume I may do it a little with a bow.

~HF~

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 12:55:51 am »
Im left eye dominant and shoot right. I do alright. I shoot instinctive so I am sure that helps.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God