Author Topic: Simplicity  (Read 4848 times)

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: Simplicity
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2012, 03:22:34 am »
The recurve that i have is VERY fast, however, it doesnt FEEL right if you know what i mean. plus there is TONS of string twang and limb noise.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline johnston

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2012, 07:24:27 am »
really enjoyed this post. thank you.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2012, 09:12:22 am »
Great story gil..... It just proves yet once again how SIMPLE this is supposed to be and really is. I understand what drives the "not good enough" engine some of us revv up. Just look at some of the beautiful bows people post here, I know it drives my own building. I was just telling a guy at work my first ever sinewed osage bow is my best by far. Its "Frankenstein", and for lots of good reasons. I did a horrible job laying the sinew down with TBIII, the bottom limb has at least 1" more set than the top, the handlke is a block and quite frankly its too long for sinew. That being said I carried it all over last year as my primary bow, including a great trip to Indiana. I still havent replaced that bow...................

If it shoots well, hunt with it folks! Know your limitations and adhere to them.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

owlbait

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2012, 11:44:56 am »
Thanks for the reminder and the encouragement. I've only built one bow that will actually shoot, and had a BUNCH of help reworking it so it would shoot well. Been TRYING to make me a "better" bow, and it isn't happening(yet). Maybe my old hickory bow is telling me something. I just hope to have a picture that I can try in color or black&white! :)

Offline coaster500

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2012, 12:02:11 pm »
Perfect :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline John K

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2012, 01:03:30 pm »
Well said !
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline LimbLover

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2012, 02:36:40 pm »
Love it...in fact, that would make an outstanding article.

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2012, 02:55:06 pm »
Thanks for your post.  I myself am shooting a bow this year I made and arrows to match.  I will be taking it elk and deer hunting, Mostly to prove to my wheelie hunting buddies that my bows will kill and they dont have to be expensive high tech bows.  They have alot of doubt in them.  this just gave me that much more confidence.

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline bluegill68

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2012, 06:00:03 pm »
Thanks for the kind words Friends. I wish you all success this fall.

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2012, 06:16:16 pm »
Great story and pics,I have a similiar Hickory bow,a little more poundage but a simple stick nonetheless,it is always my go to huntin' bow no matter what kinda new fancy one I can build-Hammertime

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2012, 07:13:53 pm »
Congratulations on your hunt! thanks for sharing your story that just inspires us all :)
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2012, 04:44:05 am »
Bluegill, that was an excellent post.  I think you said some things that we all needed to hear.  Wooden bows are special tools and you can develope a relationship with one that is very unique.  A bow that you have confidence in, and that you shoot often and accurately, should be the bow you hunt with.  My home state requires that you use at least a 35# bow for deer.  Shot placement, sharp point, and hunting skill are what brings home venison anyway.   I think we do get awfully caught up in efficent design,  zero string follow, arrow speed etc.. I am still gonna try to make the best shooting bows that I can.  That said, if you like a bow and you can shoot it good - hunt with it!!  Your post really puts it in perspective.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2012, 06:59:52 am »
Great story,been there done that and it is so true. :) If it shoots good shoot it. :)
 The first deer I killed with a self bow was a ugly Hickory stick,but it shot good and was a beauty in my eyes. :) 
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good