Author Topic: MOSQUITOES!!!  (Read 2979 times)

Offline burchett.donald

MOSQUITOES!!!
« on: September 16, 2012, 12:18:12 am »
    Went in this morning before daylight for my first time this season. Been hunting for 30+ years and don't believe I've every seen mosquitoes this bad! They were actually so bad they were making it hard to hear anything else but the high pitch buzz they make. Had 2 deer around 40yds finally work their way down wind after a few minutes and looked like they cut a cartwheel when they smelled all the 100% deet! I want to say I won't hunt anymore till it frosts but that would be a lie. My nephew said he didn't have a problem because he used a Thermocell? I will own one tomarrow. Today I was owned by MOSQUITOES...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 04:18:03 am by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Adam

Re: MOSQUITOES!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 12:22:45 am »
I was very skeptical of Thermacells, but finally got curious and gave one a shot.  Let me tell you, it saved my turkey season.  I have a hard enough time sitting still normally, and I certainly can't with mosquitoes swarming me.  Good luck on the rest of your season!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 01:18:18 am »
Mosquitos?? What's that? ;D ;) Whoever invented the Thermocell should have won the Nobel Peace Prize.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 04:27:21 am »
I bought one after battling mosquitoes one evening on a hunt a couple years ago, but I've never had to use it since.  Do they work well even if there is a breeze around you?

Offline sonny

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 10:46:43 am »
Funny story about damn mosquitoes-
a couple of seasons ago I went to a ladder stand and my buddy took his climbing stand to a spot a hundred yards or so
away. The damn mosquitoes were so bad at one point that I just closed my eyes instead of watching the swarm in front
of my face. At dark when I got back to my truck I asked my buddy if they had gotten after him. His response was that
at one point he had considered tying his pull rope around his neck and jumping out of his stand but he feared that it
wouldn't work and that he'd be hanging there with mosquitoes still biting him   :D
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 05:41:15 pm »
I was reading an incredible thread on the North American Falconry Exchange from a guy down in the Carolinas.  He was documenting his training of a gorgeous goshawk he had picked up from a breeder when she was just 16 days old.  The story and photos were incredible, she was progressing wonderfully until one day he walked out to check on her and she was stone cold dead.  West Nile virus. 

I am no great fan of chemicals and technology, but having a thermocell around me in skeeter season like you guys are facing would be awfully tempting.  WNV kills people too.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 08:13:41 pm »
Thermacells are the best invention ever made.........could not hunt without one.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 08:33:24 pm »
I bought one after battling mosquitoes one evening on a hunt a couple years ago, but I've never had to use it since.  Do they work well even if there is a breeze around you?

Really, no skeeters where you live Cam?? :o  We sure have them down here in Dallas and WestNile too.  As to a breeze, the Thermacell works fine as long as the scent blows past your face.  When it gets too windy for it to work it's too windy for the skeeters to fly.  The only time I've had trouble is inside a ground blind.  Whatever the pad is putting out can get too strong and you can get a headache if there's not some air movement.  Also, until the pad heats up you will get bit so I've been starting it before I get to where I'm hunting.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 09:38:23 pm »
Oh, there's plenty of skeeters here George.  The thing is I just got really lucky last fall.  My hunt went so well that I was in and out of the bush before the skeeters even knew I was in there!  ;)

It's already getting cool enough now that they aren't that bad in the mornings though.  It almost got sub-zero last night.