Author Topic: scapula  (Read 1986 times)

Offline barefootbowhunter

scapula
« on: September 11, 2012, 01:31:43 pm »
so yesterday morning i had my first blacktail hunt of the year. we creep along an over grown road and spot a lone doe 50 yards ahead lookin right at us, i get low and start creepin slug slow, and in what seemed like n hour later i was 25 yards away,  she was broadside and i started to slowly very slowly draw my bow, it felt right so i released. at first i thought it was lethal shot, but the shot hit a bit high and forward right on the scapula, arrow was found and only penetrated one inch, no lung blood. i was using a 52 inch vine maple selfbow 54#.  i hunted hard afterward to find this doe and get another arrow into her but nothing so far. im confident shes alive and i will return tonight to try my hardest kill her.  any you guys ever get good pentration hitting the scap with a wood bow?

Stringman

Re: scapula
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 02:20:51 pm »
Some of us did a test on a scapula this summer. Shootin a 55# bow with a stone point on a cane arrow from about 10' the point was destroyed, the cane - unscathed, and the scapula merely scratched...

Conclusion: while we did not have a conclusive test, I did come to realise this is a low percentage shot for the primitive archer. Some might disagree and thats fine, but I will be shooting for softer areas!!

Scott

Offline billy

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 04:26:50 pm »
The scapula is like armor plating.  Hitting bones with stone points will result in broken points and animals that will most likely survive the wound.  Aim a little lower, about 3 inches above the elbow and you'll bring them down every time. 
Marietta, Georgia

Offline barefootbowhunter

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 12:41:57 pm »
thanks guys, i deffinitly wasnt trying to hit her in the scapula, that would be silly. i cant get this outta my head, all i can think about is that doe, that arrow. woulda coulda shoulda....

Offline boughnut

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 12:55:46 pm »
I shot a nice 8pt last year quartering twards me.  I know not the best shot choice but I hit him in the scapula with an obsidian point.  It shatered his scapula and barried deep to the other side almost the whole arrow was in him.  the point was mangles and broke but was still attached to arrow and still had enough there to make a nice wound chanel he only ran 60 yards.  I dont think I would ever take that shot again as I truly believe I got lucky as poo.  I think more often than not it would not work out.  I have tested flint point agains some deer leg bones and it crushes the bone every time but the point is crushed as well.  what weight arrow where you shooting.  You need a heavy arrow to break bone.